I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Meet the Director
On behalf of our team at the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service (KGOS), I wish to warmly welcome you to our website. Established as the first gynecologic oncology program worldwide by one of Johns Hopkins’ four founding professors, Howard Atwood Kelly, our program is steeped in legacy and a rich history of surgical innovation and discovery. One hundred years later, KGOS remains one of the premier programs worldwide in gynecologic cancer care. Our team of world-class, compassionate health care providers and scientists is united in our singular mission of improving the quality of life and survival for those diagnosed with a gynecologic malignancy.
At Johns Hopkins, we don’t just offer the most state-of-the-art treatments; we discover them. Our approach is simple, yet comprehensive and forward-thinking:
- Train and recruit highly skilled cancer specialists who offer the most innovative surgery and personalized, state-of-the-art chemotherapy treatments to our patients.
- Invest in the most talented scientists who conduct transformative research regarding studies on early detection and cancer prevention, as well as pioneering clinical trials that revolutionize gynecologic cancer care.
- Without compromise, expect that each member of our team will provide the most exceptional care to our patients and their loved ones — from the finest cancer care to supportive services and survivorship planning — that emphasizes the whole patient and not just her cancer.
We set ourselves apart by providing exceptional clinical programs, survival outcomes above the national average, and groundbreaking research and clinical trials:
- Exceptional Clinical Programs: In collaboration with the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, we launched one of the first Ovarian Cancer Center of Excellence in the nation, which offers radical cytoreductive surgery, intraperitoneal chemotherapy, heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy, genomic profiling of tumors, and access to the most innovative clinical trials. Our institution is also home to one of the only programs dedicated to treating women with uncommon malignancies. The Center for Rare Gynecologic Cancers emphasizes personalized care for women with rare tumors of the ovary, uterus, cervix and vulva. Additionally, our team at the Susan L. Burgert, M.D. Gynecologic Oncology Survivorship Program empowers survivors of gynecologic cancer to live the fullest, most meaningful lives possible. Innovative surgical quality and patient safety programs are also vital to our program, including a comprehensive initiative to offer more minimally invasive surgical options to patients and an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery program for those who undergo radical abdominal procedures, allowing patients to experience faster recoveries from major surgery.
- Cancer Survival and Patient Safety/Satisfaction: On average, our survival rates for women with uterine and ovarian cancers treated by the KGOS team are 5 to 20 percent better than for those patients reported in the National Cancer Institute’s U.S. Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Program statistics. Our minimally invasive surgery rates for treating early-stage cancers are almost double that of the national average, resulting in a significant reduction in surgical complications, such as infections and life-threatening blood clots. On top of this, our patient satisfaction rates are among the best in the hospital, and we attribute this to our exceptional nursing care and outstanding patient outcomes.
- Groundbreaking Discovery: The pioneering research of our clinician-scientists and laboratory collaborators has impacted the field of gynecologic oncology in many ways. From developing novel Pap smears and blood tests to detect cancer at an early stage, to offering the most state-of-the-art clinical trials for patients, including immunotherapies, novel targeted agents and progressive surgery, patients will truly be exposed to the very best in gynecologic surgery and cancer care.
I am proud to lead this exceptional multidisciplinary team of cancer and gynecologic surgery specialists. Thank you for visiting our website, and I hope you choose the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service at Johns Hopkins Medicine for your care.
Director, Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service
Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics