I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine
Many older adults have chronic medical conditions—such as arthritis, heart failure, dementia or other illnesses—that make it difficult or impossible for them to visit a doctor's office. Through Johns Hopkins Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine, located in Baltimore, Maryland, physicians and other health care professionals visit participants at home to ensure that the patient’s restricted mobility does not result in disrupted access to medical care.
What You Can Expect
- Routine medical visits in the home, the frequency of which are determined by the physician or nurse practitioner and based on medical need.
- Urgent medical visits during business hours, usually within 24 hours; emergencies are sent to local hospitals via emergency medical services (911).
- Around-the-clock prompt telephone access to a physician or nurse practitioner.
- Treatment from a team of providers specializing in older adults, including geriatricians (medical doctors with a specialty in older adults), nurse practitioners, geriatricians in training, and internal medicine residents.
- Reminder calls before appointments. You will be given a four-hour window for the visit. Visits usually take place between 9 a.m. and noon.
The program does not offer a full range of specialists or consultants. We do not provide transportation or personal assistance aids, but may be able to connect you with other community services. We only perform procedures that are safely conducted in the home environment. All visits take place in the participant’s home. If the participant is in the hospital, inpatient rehabilitation or a nursing facility, we will resume visits when they return home.
Our program participants are seniors—ages 65 and older—who:
- Rarely leave the home and do so only with the significant effort of others (except for adult day care and medical appointments) due to medical conditions
- Live in the following zip codes surrounding Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center: 21202, 21205, 21213, 21219, 21222, 21224, 21231 and 21287
- Have insurance, such as Medicare, that covers Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine
- Agree to change their primary doctor to Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine
How To Enroll
If you are interested in enrolling yourself or a loved one in the Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine, please contact our coordinators at 410-550-0931 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.