Assistant Professor of Surgery
Appointment Phone Number
Gastroenterology and hepatology, GI surgery, reflux disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), anti-reflux surgery, Barrett's esophagus, paraoesophageal hernias, achalasia, benign gallbladder disease, abdominal wall hernias, weight loss surgery and gastroparesis, therapeutic endoscopy, laparoscopic, minimally-invasive surgery, robotic surgery.
Foregut diseases and treatment, robotic surgery, minimally-invasive surgery and patient outcomes.
Dr. Brett Parker is a fellowship-trained advanced GI and foregut surgeon. His clinical practice specializes in foregut diseases.
Dr. Parker is an expert in minimally invasive surgical techniques including therapeutic endoscopy, laparoscopic and robotic surgery. He is widely published on the patient benefits of his surgical techniques.
As a member of the Johns Hopkins Medicine gastrointestinal group in the Greater Washington Area, Dr. Parker is a part of several multi-disciplinary groups dedicated to the best, individualized, patient outcomes.
- M.D., St. George’s University School of Medicine (2014)
- B.S., University of Georgia (2011)
- University at Buffalo - State University of New York / General Surgery Residency (2019)
- The Oregon Clinic at Providence Cancer Center / Advanced GI/Foregut Surgery Fellowship (2020)
- American Board Surgery / General Surgery (2019)
Research & Publications
Dr. Parker's research focuses on the treatment, minimally-invasive surgical approaches and management of gastrointestinal and foregut diseases.
Reavis, K., & Parker, BC. Managing GERD in Difficult Situations: Redo Surgery. In Benign Esophageal Disease: Modern Surgical Approaches and Techniques (D.Camacho, Ed.). Springer Nature.
Swanstrom, L., & Parker, BC. Surgery for Esophageal Motor Disorders- Achalasia/DES/Jackhammer and EGJOO. In The Esophagus, 6th Edition (D.Castell, Ed.). Wiley Publishing Company.
Fung, E., & Parker, BC. Esophageal Achalasia: Endolumenal Therapy (R. B. Lim, Ed.). In Multidisciplinary Approach to Common Surgical Problems. Springer Science.
Rosser J, Parker BC, Vignesh V. Medical Applications of Drones for Disaster Relief: A Review of the Literature. Surgical Technology International. 33.
Rosser, James C, et al. Surgical and Medical Applications of Drones: A Comprehensive Review. Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, vol. 22, no. 2, 2018, doi:10.4293/JSLS.2018.00018.
Activities & Honors
- SAGES/IRCAD France Visiting Fellowship Award, 2019
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award, 2017
- Theodore C. Jewett Jr., MD Gold Star Resident of the Year Award, 2014
- Academic Honors, Psychiatry Clerkship, 2013
- Academic Honors, Obstetrics and Gynecology Clerkship, 2013
- Academic Honors, Medicine Clerkship, 2012
- Member, American Foregut Society (AFS)
- Member, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Member, SAGES Flexible Endoscopy
- Member, SAGES Fundamental Use of Surgical Energy (FUSE)
- Member, SAGES Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS)
- Member, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Member, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS)
- Member, American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Member, American Geriatrics Society (AGS)
- Member, Iota Epsilon Alpha International Medical Honor Society