I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Your First Appointment: What to Expect
Use this guide to make your first visit as stress-free as possible.
Your First Visit
The Gastric Cancer Center is committed to single-day evaluations of patients, incorporating all the resources available for diagnosis, research and the medical plan, to create the optimal treatment for each patient.
The surgical oncologist is the first physician you will meet, usually followed by the medical oncologist, who is often the primary medical provider for the duration of your treatment. This doctor will also help manage your pain and other medical needs associated with treatment.
What to Bring to Your First Appointment
Patients should make sure they bring the following to their first appointment at the Gastric Cancer Center:
- Medical records
- List of medications
- Radiology images (on CD) and reports
- Lab test results, such as hepatic and renal function
- Insurance information, if applicable
As a reminder, before your visit, make sure your pathology slides have been shipped to our office.
It is also helpful to have a family member or friend who can accompany you on your first appointment.
We will often request a repeat imaging CT scan to be arranged the morning of surgery.
Throughout Your Treatment:
- Be seen in one location by all physicians and specialists who will have direct interaction with you
- Receive a comprehensive assessment
- Have your medical case collaboratively reviewed in a timely manner
- Have a recommended plan of treatment by the end of the clinic visit
- Have summaries provided to a physician that you designate to receive this information
- Receive educational materials that describe the entire treatment and recovery process in detail. These materials include a free copy of the book, Patient’s Guide to the Cancer of the Stomach and Esophagus, by Mark Duncan, M.D., co-director of the Gastric Cancer Center
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.