I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Appointment & Promotions
This page includes information that is vital for the promotion process, including a seminar on the principles and processes, and sample CVs.
Sponsored by the Office of Faculty Development (OFD)
Speakers: APPC and PPC Chair and Co-Chair
Become informed about the promotions process at Johns Hopkins school of Medicine from the Chairs of the Full and Associate Professor Promotions Committees. In this session, you will learn how to structure your CV and prepare it in the format expected by departmental and SOM promotions committees.You will also learn about the typical content seen in CVs of those who are promoted to Associate and Full Professor and how the two committees process and evaluate your nomination for promotion. At the end of the session, you will be well informed about the promotions process at the SOM, the requirements for academic promotion, the purpose of the dean’s letter, the H-index, the Nomination Manager, utility of the educator’s and program builder’s portfolio and what is NRIP. Following the presentations, there will be a Q/A session.
- APPC Recorded Session PPC Recorded Session
- Professorial Promotions Committee (PPC) Slides
- Associate Professor Promotions Committee (APPC) Slides
If you are having difficulty accessing the slide decks, kindly attempt accessing them through a different browser.
Please email Karen Parkent firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding formatting your CV.
Examples of CVs for Promotion (Current Required Format)
Successful CVs for Promotion
These CVs include some sections that are no longer necessary.
- Argye E. Hillis, M.D., M.A.
- David E. Kern, M.D., M.P.H.
- Julia A. McMillian, M.D.
- Peter J. Pronovost, M.D.,Ph.D., F.C.C.M.
- Janet R. Serwint, M.D.
Examples of Chairs' Letters for Promotion
Example of Optional CV Impact Supplement
Example of Citations
"Tips for CVs for Promotion"
- Promotions Materials Checklist
- Professional Promotion CV Sample
- CV for Academic Promotion
- Sample System Innovation and Quality Improvement Activities Sections
Additional Information and Useful Links
- Associate Professor Promotion Committee
- Professorial Promotion Committee
- Nomination Manager
- Faculty and Appointment
- Career Pathways
- Johns Hopkins SOM Silver Book
- Johns Hopkins SOM Gold Book
- Welch Library Informationist