I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
The Graduate Student Association Travel Award
The Graduate Student Association (GSA) of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine supplements student travel to scientific meetings and/or fieldwork. The principal aim of travel awards is to enable students to participate in events that would otherwise be inaccessible. The GSA funds 16 travel awards per year — four awards per quarter.
In addition to financial need, applicants must justify the academic merit of their travels, in terms of presentations (poster or speech) at meetings, thesis-related fieldwork or a thesis-related course. However, applications for travel to nonacademic conferences that explore diverse career options are encouraged.
- Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis.
- Only Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine graduate students are eligible to apply. Homewood graduate students can apply for the GRO travel award.
- Award applicants are ranked based on year of study, academic merit and financial need. Preference goes to senior students presenting their thesis work who have not previously attended a meeting and who have pursued other sources of funding.
- Students are strongly encouraged to provide information about alternate funding resources, particularly volunteer work to waive registration fees.
- A maximum limit of $500 applies to each award.
- Each student can receive up to $500 during his/her tenure as a graduate student.
- Award recipients shall agree to compensate the GSA by assisting at upcoming GSA-sponsored events (e.g., setup or cleanup). One hour of service is required for each $100 of funding.
- Award recipients must submit an article summarizing their experiences at the meeting.
- Travel receipts must be submitted within two weeks of return, along with a cover letter for reimbursement, to the GSA Finance Committee and to Eric Lee, room 620 in the 1830 Building.
- For conferences with start dates between June 1 and December 1 should apply for the September 15 cycle
- For conferences with start dates between September 1 and March 1 should apply for the December 15 cycle
- For conferences with start dates between January 1 and May 1 should apply for the March 1 cycle
- For conferences with start dates between April 1 and August 1 should apply for the June 1 cycle
Making a Travel Award Request
- To apply for a travel award, please complete the Application for Student Travel Awards
- The application must be complete for processing.
- You must provide a signed letter from your advisor justifying your attendance at the meeting and your need for GSA funding.
- Completed applications should be submitted via email to the GSA Finance Committee (email@example.com and Eric Lee of the Office of Graduate Student Affairs).