The Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity (ODIHE) has developed an infrastructure to identify and outline the operational needs to promote and address health equity across Johns Hopkins Health System. We have assembled a team with expertise in health equity research, data analysis, and implementation.
JHHS Health Equity Team
Sherita Hill Golden, M.D., M.H.S.
Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Felicia Hill-Briggs, Ph.D., A.B.P.P.
Senior Lead for Health Equity Implementation
Professor of Medicine; Health, Behavior, and Society; and Acute and Chronic Care
Senior Director, Population Health Research and Development
Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Medicine
Past President for Healthcare and Education, American Diabetes Association
Panagis Galiatsatos, M.D., M.H.S.
Lead for Health Equity Data
Assistant Professor, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Co-Director, Medicine for the Greater Good
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Program Coordinator for Diversity, Inclusion, and Health Equity
JHM Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity
Cheri Wilson, M.A., M.H.S., C.P.H.Q.
Education and Training Manager
JHM Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity
JHHS Executive Champions
Tina L. Cheng, M.D., M.P.H.
Given Foundation Professor of Pediatrics
Director, Department of Pediatrics; Co-Director Johns Hopkins Children’s Center
Robert S. D. Higgins, M.D.
William Stewart Halsted Professor of Surgery
Director, Department of Surgery
Renee Demski, M.S.W., M.B.A.
Vice President of Quality for JHH, JHHS, and Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality
Sherita Golden, M.D., M.H.S.
Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer, JHM
Hugh P. McCormick Family Professor of Endocrinology and Metabolism
The Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Equity Advisory Committee
In January 2020, the Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Equity Advisory Committee launched and includes health equity leaders and stakeholders from across the organization with representation from the Office of Johns Hopkins Physicians, the Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Public Health, Language Services, Center for Health Equity, Center for Health Disparities Solutions, Urban Health Institute, Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, Center for Transgender Health, Nurse Case Management, Disability Services, and JHHS Quality, Integration, and Operations.
The goals of the JHM Health Equity Advisory Committee are to:
- Assist in developing operational workflows to ensure accurate sociodemographic data collection across JHM
- REaL (race, ethnicity, language)
- SOGI (sexual orientation, gender identity)
- Disability status
- Social determinants of health
- Determine how health equity should be structured, resourced, and operationalized for data analysis and intervention delivery across JHM
|Jon Efron, M.D.||Office of Johns Hopkins Physicians|
|Tina Cheng, M.D., M.P.H.||Director, Department of Pediatrics|
|Sarah Szanton, Ph.D.||Director, Center for Innovative Care in Aging, School of Nursing|
|Raquel Hernandez, M.D.||Co-Lead, Program in Health Equity Research, All Children’s Hospital|
|S. Diane Iverson, B.S.N.||Nurse Case Manager, Johns Hopkins Hospital|
|Josh Sharfstein, M.D.||Vice Dean for Public Health Practice and Community Engagement, School of Public Health|
|Darrell Gaskins, Ph.D.||Director, Center for Health Disparities Solutions|
|Michelle Spencer, M.S.||Associate Director, Bloomberg American Health Initiative, School of Public Health|
|Renee Demski, M.S.W., M.B.A.||Vice President of Quality for JHH, JHHS, and Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality|
|Renee Blanding, M.D.||Vice President of Medical Affairs, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center|
|Nancy Edwards Molello, M.S.B.||Program Director, Operations and Strategic Initiatives, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Equity|
|Phyllis Sharps, M.S.N., Ph.D.||Associate Dean for Community Programs and Initiatives, School of Nursing|
|Amy Gawad, M.P.H.||Executive Director, Urban Health Institute|
|Lisa Ishii, M.D.||Senior Vice President for JHHS Integration|
|Paula Neira, J.D., M.S.N., R.N., C.E.N.||Clinical Director, Center for Transgender Medicine|
|Tina Tolson, R.N., M.S.N, NE-BC||Senior Director of Operations, JHM Language Services|
|Catherine Axe||Executive Director, Student Disability Services, JHU|
|AJ Nanayakkara||ADA/Accessibility Program Manager, Legal Services, JHHS|
|Kai Shea, M.S.W., L.C.S.W.-C||Senior Director for Care Management, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center|
As outlined in the figure below, there are 3 existing health equity work groups with whom our ODIHE health equity team collaborates:
- JHM Social Determinants of Health Work Group
- JHM Language Services Advisory Council
- JHM Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Work Group
Each of our JHHS clinical entities has a Health Equity Subcommittee of its Diversity Council. The co-chairs of each entity committee are members of the JHHS Health Equity Steering Committee that meets quarterly to share best practices and align around common entity health equity goals.
COVID-19 Pandemic Support Framework
During the COVID-19 Pandemic our health equity team has implemented the following operational strategies to support the most vulnerable populations:
- Launched “Juntos,” a Clinician Spanish Language Care Group led by Dr. Kathleen Page and Mrs. Tina Tolson. The goal is to improve the communication with Spanish-speaking patients diagnosed with COVID-19, by deploying bilingual and culturally competent clinicians who can work together (Juntos) with the primary team to optimize clinical care communication, engage family members as appropriate, and address relevant issues that may impact recovery and safe discharge.
- Participated in the Scarce Allocation Resource Work Group to incorporate health equity principles into the framework, develop literacy-adapted patient handouts, and perform unconscious bias training for triage and secondary review teams.
- Collaborated with JHU/JHM COVID-19 Pandemic Anchor Strategy Work Group led by Ms. Alicia Wilson, VP for Economic Development
- Co-led the JHM/JHU Latinx COVID-19 Anchor Strategy Committee to support Latinx COVID-19 patients in the community