I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Share this page: More
Direct Primary Care
A new pilot benefit available to Johns Hopkins Health System employees in calendar years 2019 + 2020
As an employee of the Johns Hopkins Health System, your health is important to us. That’s why for calendar year 2020, the Johns Hopkins Health System will once again offer employees and their adult dependents (ages 18 years or older) an opportunity to participate in an innovative primary care practice called Direct Primary Care.
Located on the Howard County General Hospital campus in Columbia, Maryland, Direct Primary Care offers longer in-person appointment times, same-day appointments and extended office hours. Members can also choose to connect with a Direct Primary Care provider through video visits*, virtual consultations, MyChart messages and an after-hours phone line, when appropriate.
Jump to . . .
Johns Hopkins Direct Primary Care: A Pilot Benefit for Health System Employees
Direct Primary Care is a benefit offered to Johns Hopkins Health System employees and their adult dependents (18 years or older) who elect an Employer Health Program insurance plan. The pilot benefit offers greater access to select primary care services through extended office hours, longer appointment times, and virtual services such as video visits and MyChart messages. Learn more at jhcp.org/DPC.
Our Direct Primary Care providers are eager to become your new primary care provider. As a member of Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, the Direct Primary Care providers deliver personalized care that addresses your needs so that you can maintain your health on your time.
FAQ with Direct Primary Care Provider, Carolyn Le, C.R.N.P
Carolyn Le, a certified registered nurse practitioner, shares why she decided to become a provider with Johns Hopkins Direct Primary Care. The pilot benefit is available to Johns Hopkins Health System employees in calendar year 2020.
The Direct Primary Care practice is located on the Howard County General Hospital campus in the Medical Arts Building (MAB):
11085 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 103
Columbia, Maryland 21044
Direct Primary Care offers additional benefits to your selected Employer Health Program insurance plan. As part of this benefit, select primary care services are available through Direct Primary Care for no additional charge to your selected EHP insurance plan, including:
- 8 office or video visits, with no co-payment required
- 1 annual physical
- 1 flu vaccine
- 6 rapid tests (flu, strep, urine, pregnancy, A1c)
- 1 EKG
- Unlimited telephone consultation
- Unlimited direct access through MyChart portal and phone
- Unlimited blood draws and urine collections
- Unlimited prior authorizations of medications
- Unlimited care coordination
Just like at other JHCP practices, the Direct Primary Care providers are there to support your care needs that extend beyond these in-office services. If needed, our Direct Primary Care providers will work with you to find additional specialists who are covered by your EHP insurance plan, such as radiologists, gynecologists and endocrinologists.
Direct Primary Care is available to all Johns Hopkins Health System employees, as well as adult dependents age 18 years or older. DPC is NOT available for JHU employees at this time.
Johns Hopkins Health System employees include:
- Howard County General Hospital
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Health Care
- Johns Hopkins Health System
- Johns Hopkins Home Care Group
- Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Johns Hopkins Medicine International
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Suburban Hospital
All individuals who elect to participate in Direct Primary Care will be asked to agree and adhere to the following participation requirements:
- You understand that DPC is not an insurance plan; it is an additional benefit to your EHP insurance plan. DPC covers certain care services fully. Other services may be covered by your EHP plan and may require a cost.
- Your former primary care provider (PCP), if you have one, will be replaced by one of the two Direct Primary Care providers: Norman Dy, M.D., or Carolyn Le, D.N.P.
- You will use the DPC practice for your primary care and non-emergent medical services.
- You will schedule your first visit with your designated DPC provider by March 30, 2020 in order to establish care. This first visit must be in-person at the practice, located in Columbia, Maryland.
- After you have established care with your Direct Primary Care provider, you may begin using the virtual services, such as video visits. Your Direct Primary Care provider will determine if a video visit is appropriate for your care needs. Per state and federal regulations, you will need to be physically located in the state of Maryland during any video visit.
Current Direct Primary Care Members
Employees who elected Direct Primary Care for calendar year 2019, please check your email and home address for information being sent to you regarding re-enrollment for calendar year 2020. We will also update this site to reflect current enrollment processes. Check back soon for more information.
If you are interested in enrolling in the Direct Primary Care benefit for calendar year 2020, you will need to select Direct Primary Care during open enrollment.
*** Space is limited. Individuals will be accepted on first-to-register basis. You will be notified after open enrollment closes whether you will participate in the pilot.
Check out our additional resources:
- Watch the webinar: "Your Questions about Direct Primary Care, Answered."
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Fact Sheet
- Printable Flyers
- or email us DirectPC@jhmi.edu
Still have unanswered questions? Watch the Webinar: "Your Questions about Direct Primary Care, Answered," featuring DPC physician Norman Dy, M.D., and Steven Kravet, M.D. - president of Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
Questions? Email DirectPC@jhmi.edu