I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Gender Affirmation Surgical Services
The Center for Transgender Health is a multidisciplinary center that offers world-class care for all aspects of the gender affirmation process. We work alongside patients to identify the surgical procedures that best meet their gender affirmation goals. Our team of surgeons specializes in transgender and gender-nonconforming surgical services including top and bottom surgeries as well as facial masculinization or feminization.
Our team is committed to providing high-quality, compassionate care that is in line with the standards of care outlined by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), including mental health criteria for surgical services.
What You Need To Know
Recovery time for gender affirmation surgeries can vary according to which procedures you and your doctor identify as best for your goals.
Other procedures such as laser hair removal may be required prior to surgery.
Review eligibility criteria with your doctor for each surgery.
- Penile construction (phalloplasty/metoidioplasty): This surgical procedure can include removal of the vagina (vaginoplasty), reconstruction of the urethra and penile construction. Surgeons may use either vaginal tissue or tissue from another part of the body to construct the penis.
- Top surgery (mastectomy or augmentation): Bilateral mastectomy is the removal of the breasts, shaping of a contoured male chest, and refinement of the nipple and areola. Breast augmentation is the enlargement of the breasts using breast implants.
- Vaginal construction (vaginoplasty): This surgical procedure is a multistage process during which our skilled surgeons may remove the penis (penectomy) and the testes (orchiectomy), if still present, and use tissues from the penis to construct the vagina (vaginoplasty), the clitoris (clitoroplasty) and the labia (labiaplasty).
- Facial feminization or masculinization: In cases where hormone therapy is not enough to feminize or masculinize the face, surgery can help. Facial feminization surgery includes a variety of procedures, such as reshaping the nose; brow lift (or forehead lift); chin, cheek and jaw reshaping; Adam’s apple reduction; lip augmentation; hairline restoration; and earlobe reduction. Facial masculinization surgery includes a series of procedures, such as forehead lengthening and augmentation; cheek augmentation; reshaping the nose and chin; jaw augmentation; and thyroid cartilage enhancement to construct an Adam’s apple.
- Hysterectomy: Hysterectomy includes the removal of the uterus and ovaries (oophorectomy). Options for oocyte storage and fertility preservation are also available if desired.
At the Center for Transgender Health, we follow the standards of care recommended by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Please review the criteria for: