We understand that prostate cancer can significantly affect your quality of life. Many men have concerns about the side effects of primary treatment options. Fortunately, many of the side effects that men fear most are often less frequent and severe than they might think, thanks to:
- Technical advances in surgery and radiation therapy
- Researchers persistently seeking new ways to help overcome side effects
- Improvements in treatment delivery
Understanding how and why side effects occur can help you minimize their impact on your daily life.
There are six broad categories of side effects typically associated with prostate cancer treatments:
- Urinary dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bowel dysfunction
- Loss of fertility
- Side effects of hormone therapy
- Side effects of chemotherapy
Depending on the treatment strategy, some or all might be present. Not all symptoms are normal, and some require immediate care. If you notice something, speak up. Your doctor can adjust your treatment plan to reduce side effects.