The Ralph T. and Esther L. Warburton Foundation and Dr. Hugh Judge Jewett Fellowship
The Ralph T. and Esther L. Warburton Foundation and Dr. Hugh Judge Jewett Fellowship in Urologic Oncology at the Brady Urological Institute is supported by philanthropic gifts from Drs. Warburton and Jewett, both of whom were great friends of the Brady. In 1974, Dr. Jewett introduced Ralph Warburton to Dr. Patrick Walsh when he attended medical conferences at Johns Hopkins. They became great friends and it was Dr. Walsh that worked to establish the Warburton/Jewett Fellowship at the Brady Urological Institute. The fellowship is approved by the Society of Urologic Oncology (S.U.O) and provides comprehensive multidisciplinary training in all aspects of urologic cancer surgery, including open, laparoscopic, and robotic-assisted techniques for disease management. Our goal is to train future leaders in academic urologic oncology to make significant contributions to the field.
The Urologic Oncology Fellow will have an opportunity to work directly with research faculty and clinicians who diagnose and manage urologic malignancies using the most up-to-date clinical and research skills. Our surgeons perform open and minimally-invasive surgical procedures for the treatment of all urological malignancies and work closely with fellowship trainees. The fellow is appointed as Instructor in Urology with full hospital admitting, operative, and clinic privileges.
The program is a two-year fellowship that includes one year of clinical urologic oncology and one year of oncologic research. The fellowship is only open to U.S. citizens. We accept one applicant per year through the SUO match program.
Christian P. Pavlovich, M.D.
Professor of Urology and Oncology
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
Director, Urologic Oncology
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Director, Urologic Oncology Fellowship
Trinity J. Bivalacqua, M.D, Ph.D.
R. Christian B. Evensen Professor
Director of Urologic Oncology
Associate Professor of Urology, Surgery, and Oncology
Max Kates, MD
Assistant Professor of Urology and Oncology
Director, Bladder Cancer Program
Phillip M. Pierorazio, M.D.
Associate Professor of Urology and Oncology
Director, Division of Testis Cancer
Director of Social Media
Nirmish Singla, M.D., M.Sc.
Assistant Professor of Urology
Director of Translational Research in GU Oncology
Alan W. Partin, M.D., Ph.D.
The Jakurski Family Director
Chairman, Department of Urology
Professor, Department of Oncology, Pathology
Areas of surgical training include:
- Prostate cancer: open radical retropubic and robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, transperitoneal and extraperitoneal approaches; cryoablation
- Kidney cancer: open partial/radical nephrectomy including IVC thrombectomy; laparoscopic radical nephrectomy; robotic partial nephrectomy
- Urothelial cancer: open and robotic radical cystectomy; orthotopic neobladder reconstruction and continent urinary reconstruction (conduit, pouch, neobladder); open, laparoscopic and robotic nephroureterectomy; partial cystectomy, TURBT
- Testis cancer: radical orchiectomy; testis-spring surgery, testicular prosthetics and OncoTESE; open and robotic RPLND
Areas of research training include:
- Prostate – active surveillance, serum and urinary biomarkers, genomics, high-risk disease, adjuvant therapy, advanced imaging, neoadjuvant clinical trials, MRI-guided biopsy, intraoperative imaging, epidemiology, outcomes
- Kidney – active surveillance, biomarkers, ablation, surgical outcomes, targeted therapy, in vivo imaging, molecular imaging, health sciences research
- Urothelial Cancer of the Bladder – tissue engineering, high risk disease, biomarkers, clinical trials
- Urothelial Cancer of the Upper Tract – neoadjuvant chemotherapy, surgical outcomes, health sciences research, clinical trials
- Testicular Cancer – surgical outcomes research, survivorship, health sciences research
Thomas Guzzo, MD MPH (2007-2009)
University of Pennsylvania
Eric Hyndman, MD PhD (2009-2011)
University of Calgary
Adam Reese, MD (2011-2013)
Jen-Jane Liu, MD (2013-2015)
Oregon Health Sciences University
Michael Johnson, MD (2014-2016)
Johns Hopkins University
C.J. Stimson, MD JD (2015-2017)
Alice Semerjian, MD (2016-2018)
Private Practice, Michigan
Mohit Gupta, MD (2017-2019)
New York University
Max Kates, MD (2018-2020)
Meredith Metcalf, MD (2019-2021)