I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Armstrong Institute at Howard County General Hospital
The Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality has established a satellite location at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia, Maryland. The facility is led by Director M. Shafeeq Ahmed, M.D., and Deputy Director Lisa Grubb.
As a community hospital within Johns Hopkins Medicine, Howard County General Hospital provides a unique perspective for patient safety and quality improvement work that complements the work carried out in East Baltimore. This hub will help unify and coordinate the quality and patient safety efforts already in progress throughout Howard County General Hospital while supporting and strengthening the community of clinicians, researchers and administrators who are focused on eliminating preventable harm, improving patient outcomes and experiences, and reducing waste in health care.
- To develop a unifying quality and safety structure at Howard County General Hospital, coordinating efforts that are currently taking place within clinical departments, hospital administration, professional staff and nursing. Promote educational opportunities to enhance knowledge base of Howard County General Hospital staff.
- Build a stronger relationship between Howard County General Hospital and the Armstrong Institute, leveraging Howard County General Hospital’s strengths as a community hospital, as well as its outpatient settings.
- Translate Armstrong Institute research in quality and safety to Howard County General Hospital’s quality and safety work in a community hospital setting.
- Further integrate the Howard County General Hospital community with the resources and training opportunities of the Armstrong Institute.
- Continue to work across settings and disciplines to redesign health care delivery processes.
Director, Armstrong Institute at Howard County General Hospital
Chief Medical Officer and Vice President of Medical Affairs
Dr. Ahmed joined Howard County General Hospital in 2016 as the Chief Medical Officer and Vice President of Medical Affairs. In this role, he is the hospital’s designated medical safety and quality officer, and leads Howard County General Hospital in the critical tasks of integrating services and quality care standards with those of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Deputy Director, Armstrong Institute at Howard County General Hospital
Senior Director of Quality
Lisa Grubb leads safety and quality efforts at Howard County General Hospital. Her team works with departments throughout the hospital to evaluate systems and processes to determine what factors affect patient outcomes, then work frontline clinical staff to help improve those outcomes, developing new systems and processes or improving existing ones.