The Armstrong Institute Center for Diagnostic Excellence provides resources for patients, providers, scientists and administrators working together to tackle the challenges of misdiagnosis. Regularly featured in national media, the following is a collection of the outlets where faculty and staff members help advance public knowledge on ways to address the problem of diagnostic errors.
- Your diagnosis was wrong. Could doctor bias have been a factor? (Washington Post, November 18, 2019)
- Diagnosis errors account for one-third of severe harm malpractice claims (Modern Healthcare, July 11, 2019)
- Why Public Reporting of Diagnostic Errors Might Come Sooner than You Think (Voices for Safer Care, June 11, 2018)
- A Method to Measure Diagnostic Errors Could Be Key to Preventing Disability and Death from Misdiagnosis, (Science Daily, January 22, 2018)
- "Johns Hopkins Researchers Use Big Data Analytics to Target Diagnostic Errors, Improve Quality", (Fierce Healthcare, January 23, 2018)
- "Johns Hopkins to Study How to Better Diagnose Disease", (Baltimore Sun, November 1, 2016)
- “Fighting Misdiagnosis”, (Dome, November 2016)
- “Eyeing a New Way to Diagnose Stroke” (Hopkins Medicine, Fall 2016)
- “The Brain Tumor Is Benign, but Threats Remain” (The New York Times, April 27, 2016)
- “Diagnostic Errors Are Lead Cause of Medical Liability Payouts” (AMA Medical News, May 6, 2013)
- “Why Doctors Are Sued” (The New York Times, April 29, 2013)
- “Adding Up Diagnosis Errors” (Wall Street Journal, April 24, 2013)
- “Goggles-and-Laptop Device Might Help Detect Some Strokes” (Los Angeles Times, March 5, 2013)
- “5 Most Commonly Misdiagnosed Conditions in the ICU” (American Association of Retired Persons, Nov. 16, 2012)
- “Eye Movement Exam More Accurate Than MRI in Stroke Prediction” (HealthCare Business, Sept. 29, 2009)
- “Misdiagnosis and Wrong Diagnosis by Doctors Cause 40,000 Deaths Each Year” (The Legal Examiner, Aug. 16, 2009)
- Medical Misdiagnosis (America Tonight, Al Jazeera Network, minutes 44–55, September 2016)
- Stroke of Genius: New Device Could Save Lives and Money (CBS This Morning, March 6, 2013)
- A Method to Measure Diagnostic Errors from Big Data Could be Key to Preventing Disability and Death from Misdiagnosis, January 22, 2018
- David Newman-Toker Named President-Elect of the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine, October 11, 2017
- Johns Hopkins Opens New Center to Reduce Diagnostic Errors, October 31, 2016
- Diagnostic Errors More Common, Costly and Harmful Than Treatment Mistakes, April 23, 2013
- Is It a Stroke or Benign Dizziness? A Simple Bedside Test Can Tell, March 5, 2013
- Johns Hopkins Patient Safety Team Finds Diagnostic ‘Fatal Flaws’ in the ICU May Account for as Many Annual Deaths as Breast Cancer, August 27, 2012
- Cheap, Quick Bedside ‘Eye Movement’ Exam Outperforms MRI for Diagnosing Stroke in Patients with Dizziness, September 18, 2009
- Diagnostic Errors: The New Focus of Patient Safety Experts, March 11, 2009
Blogs and Podcasts
- Preventing a Mis-Diagnosis (A Woman's Journey)
- Medical Misdiagnosis: More Common Than You Think (WYPR, national NPR affiliate, October 31, 2017)
- Common Symptoms, Uncommon Causes: Reducing Misdiagnosis on the Front Lines (Armstrong Institute blog, November 3, 2016)
- How Teamwork Can Reduce Missed Diagnoses (Armstrong Institute blog, June 6, 2016)
- “Missed Strokes” (Johns Hopkins Health Newsfeed/national NPR affiliates, Oct. 19, 2015)
- “Stroke Miss” (Johns Hopkins Health Newsfeed/national NPR affiliates, May 13, 2014)
Research and Publications
- Diagnostic performance dashboards: tracking diagnostic errors using big data, BMJ Qual Saf Published Online First: 17 March 2018. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2018-007945, Mane KK, Rubenstein KB, Nassery N, et al
- ED misdiagnosis of cerebrovascular events in the era of modern neuroimaging, The Official Journal of the American Academy of Neurology, 2017 March. Alexander Andrea Tarnutzer, MD, Seung-Han Lee, MD, Karen A. Robinson, PhD, Zheyu Wang, PhD, Jonathan A. Edlow, MD* and David E. Newman-Toker, MD, PhD*
- Diagnostic errors: the next frontier for patient safety. JAMA. 2009 Mar; 301(10):1060-62. Newman-Toker DE, Pronovost PJ.
- A unified conceptual model for diagnostic errors: underdiagnosis, overdiagnosis, and misdiagnosis. Diagnosis. 2014 1(1): 43–48. Newman-Toker DE.
- How much diagnostic safety can we afford… and how should we decide? A health economics perspective. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013 22 Suppl 2 (2013), ii11-ii20. Newman-Toker DE, McDonald KM, Meltzer DO.
- 25-year summary of US malpractice claims for diagnostic errors 1986-2010: an analysis from the National Practitioner Data Bank. BMJ Quality and Safety. 2013 Aug;22(8):672-80. Saber Tehrani AS, Lee HW, Mathews SC, Shore A, Makary M, Pronovost PJ, Newman-Toker DE.
- Missed diagnoses of acute myocardial infarction in the emergency department: variation by patient and facility characteristics. Diagnosis. 2015 Feb;2(1):29-40. Moy E, Barrett M, Coffey R, Hines A, Newman-Toker DE.
- Missed diagnosis of stroke in the ED: a cross-sectional analysis of a large population-based sample. Diagnosis. 2014 Apr;1(2):155-166. Newman-Toker DE, Moy E, Valente E, Coffey R, Hines A.
- Missed stroke in acute vertigo and dizziness: It is time for action, not debate. Ann Neurol. 2016 Jan;79(1):27-31. Newman-Toker DE.
- HINTS to diagnose stroke in the acute vestibular syndrome: three-step bedside oculomotor exam more sensitive than early MRI diffusion-weighted imaging. Stroke. 2009 Nov;40(11):3504-3510. Kattah JC, Talkad AV, Wang DZ, Hsieh YH, Newman-Toker DE.
- Establishment of a new prostate cancer multidisciplinary clinic: Format and initial experience. Prostate. 2015 Feb;75(2):191-9. doi: 10.1002/pros.22904. Epub 2014 Oct 13. Sundi D, Cohen JE, Cole AP, Neuman BP, Cooper J, Faisal FA, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM.
- Establishment of a new prostate cancer multidisciplinary clinic: Format and initial experience. Sundi D, Cohen JE, Cole AP, Neuman BP, Cooper J, Faisal FA, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM.
- Impact of a single-day multidisciplinary clinic on the management of patients with liver tumors. Current Oncology. 2013; 20: e123-e131. Zhang J, Mavros MN, Cosgrove D, et al.
- Multidisciplinary Clinic in the Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2014; 21: 1059-1061. Soares KC, Cosgrove DC, Herman JM, Pawlik TM.
- Evaluating the impact of a single-day multidisciplinary clinic on the management of pancreatic cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2008; 15:2081-2088. Pawlik TM, Laheru D, Hruban RH, et al.