Facilitated by Joe Ryan, The AARP Smart Driver Course is the nation’s first and largest refresher course for drivers age 50 and older; it has helped millions of drivers remain safe on the road. During this course, you'll learn how you can manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time. In addition, you'll learn:
- How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
- The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, antilock brakes and new technology found in cars today
- Ways to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities
- The effects of medications on driving
- The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking and using a cellphone
After completing the course, you will have a greater appreciation of driving challenges and a better understanding of how to avoid potential collisions and injuring yourself or others.
Those who attend this course at Sibley may also get a reduction in their auto insurance fee by taking the class. Please call your auto insurance company for details.
Please Note: The six hour class is for people who have not taken the AARP Smart Driver Course before. The four-hour class is a refresher for people who have already taken the 6-hour AARP Smart Driver Course class. Anyone is welcome to take the 6 hour course.
Cost: $15 for AARP members with membership card, $20 for non-members. Payable by check only (no cash or credit cards will be accepted). Please make check payable to AARP. To receive the AARP rate you must bring your AARP membership card to class.
Registration is required. Contact Joe Ryan at 202-360-0704.
- Full participation is required
- Please bring a pen or pencil
- Arrive 15 minutes early to check-in
You may also take the class online, and also locate other classes in the area by going to www.aarp.org and looking up Driver Safety, or call 1-888-227-7669 to locate a class near you.