The Academy has partnered with several local and national volunteer organizations serving in a variety of capacities including mentoring under-performing Baltimore high school students, providing clinical consultation to underserved community clinics nationally, advancing excellence in patient care, and serving the medical needs of the working poor in Baltimore. Academy members are introduced to opportunities at volunteer organizations by bringing in representatives from the organizations to speak with our members at our monthly members meetings.
Academy members engage in mentoring and coaching of junior faculty. Some mentoring relationships are already established and the Academy serves as a platform for the faculty to continue the relationship. The Academy is focusing on developing new mentor/mentee relationships through our programming.
No content yet.
JHU Press is looking for peer reviewers for the following projects:
- Severe Burns
- Kidney Disease
- Adult ADHD
- Eating Disorders
- Dying at Home
- Aging in Place
More information about opportunities for Academy members to work with the JHU Press can be found here. A modest honorarium is provided for review.
From Paul T. White, J.D., Assistant Dean for Admissions in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine:
We would welcome having any members of the Academy attend the weekly Interview Day lunches, which are from 12 to 1:00pm on Thursdays and Fridays (click here to see the schedule, which corresponds to the days when we interview- which are listed in the middle of the column).
- There is no agenda and they may sign up for as many days as they wish to attend
- We welcome any one who has had a role at Hopkins as either an educator or practitioner
If any of the Academy members are interested in being an interviewer, that would be terrific.
- Each interviewer would be trained by me (usually as part of a small group of new committee members or interviewers)
- We welcome anyone who has taught at Hopkins: they can be an MD or PhD, as long as they have had either patient experience or worked with medical students and/or residents
- The interview dates are listed in the middle of the column on the schedule
- We would appreciate having the interview several times each semester, usually 4 or 5 days in the Fall and 3 or 4 days in late Winter
- The typical interviewer does 3 interviews at 2:00pm, 2:45pm and 3:30pm on either a Thursday or Friday, depending on which day he or she is available; if they can only do 2 interviews, that is acceptable
- Interviewers must submit brief written summaries of the interviews
- The interviewers do not have to attend the admission committee meetings (far left column), which are held monthly from 5:00pm to approximately 8:00pm (sometimes ending earlier, sometimes ending later), but certainly are welcome to attend meetings to present the candidates they have interviewed
- If unable to phone in or attend, I can present their candidates on their behalf
Should anyone be interested in joining the lunches or as an interviewer, they may send their contact information to Valerie Mazza, the Director of Admissions, at email@example.com.
Academy members have the opportunity to stay updated on events of interest by joining an email listserv.
To sign up, click on the event(s) you would like to receive email notifications about; an email message will automatically generate. Please identify yourself as a member of The Academy at Johns Hopkins, East Baltimore Campus, in the body of the email before sending.