I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
2016 Funding Announcement
Point-of-Care Tests for Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Including Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Trichomonas vaginalis, and Mycoplasma genitalium
Key Dates and Deadlines:
- Full Fast Track Proposals Were Due: September 7, 2016 by 4:00pm EST/ET
- Review Notification to all Applicants: Approximately 60 days following submission
- Funds Awarded: Approximately 30 days following notification of successful application
The Johns Hopkins Center for Point-of-Care Tests for STDs (JHU C POCT STD) is seeking to facilitate the development of novel detection technologies for Point of Care Tests.
Successful applications will describe the development of tests which minimally:
- can detect an STD from the list provided in the Announcement document (below)
- can show a limit of detection or clinical sensitivity (or a pathway to achieve detection) consistent with currently accepted clinical assays
- are rapid (time from sample to result under 4 hours)
- have low-labor burden for sample preparation and assay, and
- will be low cost (under $30/test)
Multiplex assays which can detect more than one sexually transmitted infection are encouraged.
- Proposals must be submitted to the email address POCT-STD@jhuapl.edu.
- All final proposals must be submitted by 4pm ET/EST on the date listed in the solicitation to be considered for review.
- All proposals received at the location and by the date and time provided in the solicitation are eligible for consideration.
For your information, the proposals are first screened for appropriateness to the solicitation for POCTs for STDs. Proposals which do not address STDs, describe a concept but have no prior work or supporting data (extremely early stage proposals), describe a device or system currently under contract by JHU APL, do not describe a device or assay for STDs, do not include all the sections requested, or are otherwise deemed unresponsive, are removed from consideration and the applicant(s) are notified.
All proposals deemed responsive are reviewed by four (4) external reviewers. Reviewers are selected based on their expertise in diagnosis of STDs or on their expertise in the technologies used to develop POC devices. All reviewers are asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement and conflict of interest statement before receiving any proposals. All reviewers are asked to review all the proposals submitted to a particular solicitation closing date. Upon receiving the external reviews, our Center staff conducts an independent review and reviews the comments from each of the reviewers. A summary is provided to the director of the Center for concurrence with the funding decision(s) made. Funding decisions include the decision to fund one, more than one, or none of the proposals submitted. The funding decision is then forwarded to the Program Manager at NIBIB for approval. Notification of applicants is made after the decision is approved.
PDF files should be sent by email to POCT-STD@jhuapl.edu. Only electronic submissions are accepted.
Download the PDF of Announcement of Funding Opportunity (below), which includes key dates and deadlines, application process, review process and criteria, and additional submission information.