- Firm commitment to a career in domestic primary care and urban health.
- Medical student or graduate in good standing. Only MDs who have graduated within the past three years will be considered.
- Successful completion of USMLE Step I by date of submission of application. (We do not have a minimum score requirement)
- Successful completion of USMLE Step II by the beginning date of the residency.
- Completion of a sub-internship/acting internship in medicine. (This does not need to be completed before you apply.)
- We do not offer J1 visas
- We do not offer preliminary positions
How to Apply
The Johns Hopkins Residency program participates in and interns are selected from medical school graduates through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). Our NRMP Code is 1242140C1.
Application Requirements and Deadline
The ERAS post office opens on September 15. Applications must be received by the third Wednesday in October. We will not accept late applications.
We require the following items to be included in your application materials:
- Personal Statement
- Dean's Letter
- USMLE Scores (Step I with application; Step II, when available)
- At least three letters of recommendation from faculty members who know you well. At least two should be from IM faculty members. (We do not require a letter from your Department Chairman).
During the visit for the required personal interview, we encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with Baltimore, our residents, and the faculty. Applicants will have the opportunity to discuss details of the service with current house officers and faculty and to ask questions.
Our interview is not a test of a candidate's abilities. Emphasis is placed on medical school recommendations, and the interview is principally designed for us to get to know each other. Please consider bringing your significant other when you visit.
We have a two-day interview. You will be invited to attend our categorical interview day and our UH IM primary care track interview day. There will be a dinner the night before each interview day. You will choose from five UH IM interview dates. You do not have to interview two days in a row. All UH IM interview days will take place on a Tuesday and will include a tour of our community continuity clinic and many opportunities to meet our residents and GIM faculty. Second looks will be available, but they are not required. Contact the program coordinator, Jenn Jackson if you are interested in a second look.
Interview Dates 2019-2020:
- Tuesday, November 5
- Tuesday, November 19
- Tuesday, December 3
- Tuesday, December 17
- Tuesday, January 7
Scheduling an Interview
Interviews are by invitation only. We will do our best to schedule your interview at a time that is convenient for you; however we cannot guarantee an interview on the dates you request.
Once we have reviewed your Dean's letter, transcript and three letters of recommendation, we will invite qualified applicants for an interview with faculty and residents. Invitations to interview will be issued by email. Your invitation to interview will not include an assigned interview date. If invited, please contact our residency coordinator, Jenn Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-955-7911 to schedule your interview.
Please note that we invite applicants and their significant others to dine with our residents the night before the interview day.
International Medical Graduate Applicants
H1 visas will be considered only for international graduates of United States medical schools. Due to the nature of our program, J1 visas are not accepted.