I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Share this page: More
Ian M. Rosenthal, PhD
Research in improving chemotherapy for pulmonary tuberculosis is of great public health importance as treatment completion rates continue to remain unacceptably low in many developing countries. Widespread implementation of potent once-weekly drug regimens would be expected to reduce the costs of managing patients and augment adherence through greater feasibility of directly observed therapy. However, because of inadequate cure rates using the only available once-weekly regimen in patients with HIV or otherwise at high risk of relapse, it is imperative that new once-weekly regimens with greater potency and ability to prevent drug resistance be evaluated. For my post-doctoral research with Drs. Nuermberger and Grosset, I am currently evaluating the potential of rifapentine- and moxifloxacin-based once-weekly continuation phase regimens in the murine model of TB.
To read some of these publications online, click here. Please note that to read the full text of some of these articles requires that you have an online subscription to the journal.
1. Rosenthal, I. M., K. Williams, S. Tyagi, C. A. Peloquin, A. A. Vernon, W. R. Bishai, J. H. Grosset, and E. L. Nuermberger. 2006. Potent Twice-Weekly Rifapentine-containing Regimens in Murine Tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:94-101.
2. Nuermberger, E., I. Rosenthal, S. Tyagi, K. N. Williams, D. Almeida, C. A. Peloquin, W. R. Bishai, and J. H. Grosset. 2006. Combination chemotherapy with the nitroimidazopyran PA-824 and first-line drugs in a murine model of tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2621-5.
3. Tyagi, S., E. Nuermberger, T. Yoshimatsu, K. Williams, I. Rosenthal, N. Lounis, W. Bishai, and J. Grosset. 2005. Bactericidal activity of the nitroimidazopyran PA-824 in a murine model of tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:2289-93.
4. Rosenthal, I. M., K. Williams, S. Tyagi, A. A. Vernon, C. A. Peloquin, W. R. Bishai, J. H. Grosset, and E. L. Nuermberger. 2005. Weekly moxifloxacin and rifapentine is more active than the Denver regimen in murine tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1457-62.
5. Nuermberger, E., S. Tyagi, K. N. Williams, I. Rosenthal, W. R. Bishai, and J. H. Grosset. 2005. Rifapentine, moxifloxacin, or DNA vaccine improves treatment of latent tuberculosis in a mouse model. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1452-6.
6. Nuermberger, E. L., T. Yoshimatsu, S. Tyagi, K. Williams, I. Rosenthal, R. J. O'Brien, A. A. Vernon, R. E. Chaisson, W. R. Bishai, and J. H. Grosset. 2004. Moxifloxacin-containing regimens of reduced duration produce a stable cure in murine tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:1131-4.