I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Share this page: More
Jonathan E. Golub, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology
Division of Infectious Diseases and Bloomberg School of Public Health
My primary research interest is the epidemiology of tuberculosis, primarily in the context of HIV infection. I am currently a co-investigator on two large scale community randomized trials in Brazil. The first is the THRio study, part of the Bill & Melinda Gates funded CREATE consortium, which investigates the effectiveness of training HIV clinic staff to test and treat HIV-infected patients for latent tuberculosis infection. The second is investigating a large scale active case finding strategy for reducing TB incidence in rural and urban areas of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I am also a co-investigator of a longitudinal study in Johannesburg, South Africa following 1,000 HIV-infected patients.
Locally, I work with the Tuberculosis Epidemiologic Studies Consortium of the CDC investigating delays in diagnosis of TB and risk factors associated with TB mortality in the US. In addition, since 2005, I have been the primary instructor for the Epidemiologic Basis for Tuberculosis Control, a class developed and co-instructed with Professor Emeritus, Dr. George W. Comstock and Dr. Richard Chaisson. This course is conducted thrice-yearly, both in class and online as part of the distance education program at Johns Hopkins University. We have recently developed a course entitled, TB, HIV Programs and Critical Challenges in Global Tuberculosis Control. I have also developed a one-year training course for Brazilian HIV/TB clinicians and epidemiologists emphasizing methods in developing, implementing and analyzing epidemiologic studies. This course is in its fourth year and now includes over 30 Brazilian and South African participants. To complement this course, I have started a similar training course for researchers interested in AIDS-related malignancies in Brazil and South Africa.
To read some of these publications online, click here. Please note that to read the full text of some of these articles requires that you have an online subscription to the journal.
1. Golub JE, Haselow DT, Hageman JC, Lopez AS, Oldach D, Perl TM. Pfiesteria in Maryland: preliminary epidemiological results. Maryland Medical Journal 1998;47(3):137-143.
2. Cronin WA, Golub JE, Magder LS, Baruch NG, Lathan MJ, Mukasa LN, Hooper N, Razeq JH, Mulcahy D, Benjamin WH, Bishai WR. Epidemiologic Usefulness of Spoligotyping for Secondary Typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates with Low Copy Numbers of IS6110. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2001;39(10):3709-3711.
3. Golub JE, Cronin WA, Obasanjo OO, Coggin W, Moore K, Pope DS, Thompson D, Sterling TR, Bishai WR, Chaisson RE. Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis through casual contact with an infectious case. Archives of Internal Medicine 2001;161:2254-2258.
4. Dooley KE, Golub JE, Goes FS, Merz WG, Sterling TR. Empiric treatment of community-acquired pneumonia with fluoroquinolones and delays in the treatment of tuberculosis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2002;34(12):1607-12.
5. Lathan M, Mukasa LN, Hooper N, Golub JE, Baruch N, Mulcahy M, Benjamin W, Cronin WA. Cross-jurisdictional transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Maryland and Washington, D.C. 1996-2000, linked to the homeless. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2002;8(11):1249-1251.
6. Cronin WA, Golub JE, Lathan MJ, Mukasa LN, Hooper N, Razeq J, Baruch NG, Mulcahy D, Benjamin WH, Magder LS, Strickland GT, Bishai WR. Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis in a low- to moderate incidence state: are contact investigations enough? Emerging Infectious Diseases 2002;8(11):1271-1279.
7. Chaisson RE, Armstrong J, Stafford J, Golub JE, Bur S. Safety and tolerability of intermittent rifampin/pyrazinamide for the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in prisoners. JAMA 2002;288(2):165-6.
8. Bur S, Golub JE, Armstrong J, Myers K, Johnson B, Mazo D, Fielder JF, et al. Evaluation of an extensive tuberculosis contact investigation in an urban community and jail. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2003; 7(12):S417-S423.
9. Golub JE, Bur S, Sterling TR, Cronin WA, Gange S, Oden B, Baruch N, Comstock GW, Chaisson RE. Impact of empiric antibiotics and the chest radiograph on delays in the diagnosis of tuberculosis. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2005; 9(4): 392-397.
10. Golub JE, Bur S, Cronin WA, Gange S, Baruch N, Comstock GW, Chaisson RE. Patient and health care system delays in pulmonary tuberculosis diagnosis in a low-incidence state. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2005; 9(9): 992-998.
11. Golub JE, Cronin WA, Bur S, Gange S, Baruch N, Comstock GW, Chaisson RE. Delayed tuberculosis diagnosis and tuberculosis transmission. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2006; 10(1): 24-30.
12. Bastos LGV, Fonseca LS, Mello FQ, Ruffino-Netto A, Golub JE, Conde MB. Pulmonary tuberculosis prevalence among respiratory symptomatic subjects in an outpatient primary health service in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2007; 11(2):156-160.
13. Moulton L, Golub JE, Durvoni B, Cavalcante S, Pacheco A, Saraceni V, King B, Chaisson RE. Statistical design of THRio: A phased implementation of a clinic-randomized study of a tuberculosis preventive therapy intervention. Clinical Trials 2007; 4(2):190-9.
14. Golub JE, Saraceni V, Cavalcante SC, Pacheco AG, Moulton LH, King BS, Efron A, Moore RD, Chaisson RE, Durovni B. The impact of antiretroviral therapy and isoniazid preventive therapy on tuberculosis incidence in HIV-infected patients in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. AIDS 2007;21(11):1441-1448.
15. Rabizadeh S, Rhee K, Wu S, Huso D, Gan CM, Golub JE, Wu X, Zhang M, Sears CL.? Enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis: A potential instigator of colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2007;13(12): 1475-1483.
16.Luquero FJ, Sanchez-Padilla E, Simon-Soria F, Eiros JM, Golub JE.? Trend and seasonality of tuberculosis in Spain, 1996-2004. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2008;12(2): 221-224.
17. Saraceni V, King BS, Cavalcante SC, Golub JE, Lauria LM, Moulton LH, Chaisson RE, Durovni B. Tuberculosis as primary cause of death among AIDS cases in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2008; 12(7): 769-72.
18. Golub JE, Durovni B, King BS, Cavalcante SC, Pacheco AG, Moulton LH, Moore RD, Chaisson RE, Saraceni V. Recurrent tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. AIDS 2008;22(18): 2527-2533.
19. Pacheco AG, Saraceni V, Tubor SH, Moulton SH, Chaisson RE, Cavalcante SC, Durovni B, Faulhaber JC, Golub JE, King B, Schechter M, Harrison LH. Validation of a hierarchical deterministic record linkage algorithm using data from two different cohorts of HIV-infected individuals and mortality databases in Brazil. American Journal of Epidemiology 2008;168(11):1326-32
20. Pacheco AG, Durovni B, Cavalcante SC, Lauria LM, Moore RD, Moulton LH, Chaisson RE, Golub JE. AIDS-related tuberculosis in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. PLoS ONE 2008; 3(9):e3132.
21. Cailleaux-Cezar M, Melo DA, Xavier GM, Salles CLG, Mello FCQ, Ruffino-Netto A, Golub JE, Efron A, Chaisson RE, Conde MB. Incidence of Tuberculosis Among Contacts of Active Pulmonary Tuberculosis. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2009; 13(2):190-5.
22. Golub JE, Astemborski J, Ahmed M, Cronin W, Mehta SH, Kirk GD, Vlahov D, Chaisson RE. Long-term effectiveness of diagnosing and treating latent tuberculosis infection in a cohort of HIV-infected and at risk injection drug users. JAIDS 2008 15;49(5):532-7.
23. Dooley KE, Cronin W, Tang T, Golub JE, Dorman SE. Impact of diabetes mellitus on treatment outcomes of patients with active tuberculosis.? American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 2009; 80(4):634-9.
24. Dowdy DW, Lourenco MC, Cavalcante SC, Saraceni V, King B, Golub JE, Bishai D, Durovni B, Chaisson RE, Dorman SE. Impact and cost-effectiveness of culture for diagnosis of tuberculosis in HIV-infected Brazilian adults. PLoS ONE 2009;3(12):e4057. Epub 2008 Dec 29.
25. Golub JE, Pronyk P, Mohapi L, Thsabangu N, Moshabela M, Struthers H, Gray GE, McIntyre JA, Chaisson RE, Martinson NA. Isoniazid preventive therapy, HAART and tuberculosis risk in HIV-infected adults in South Africa: A prospective cohort. AIDS 2009; In Press.
26. Miranda AE, Golub JE, Lucena FF, Maciel EN, Gurgel MF, Dietze R. Tuberculosis and AIDS co-morbidity: Linkage of tuberculosis and AIDS databases. Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2009; In Press.