Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Current Research in Cornea, Cataract and External Disease
The research faculty of the Cornea, Cataract and External Disease Division at the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute are engaged in research aimed at improving how corneal disease is diagnosed, treated and managed.
Research in Action
Wilmer now offers corneal collagen cross-linking, a minimally-invasive, advanced therapy that slows or stops the progression of keratoconus.
Dr. Farhan Merali researches the science of quality and safety in eye care.
Areas of Research
- Dr. Divya Srikumaran is researching the burden of contact lenses fittings for patients with keratoconus and similar ocular diseases.
Corneal Collagen Cross-linking
- Dr. Uri Soiberman is exploring the outcomes of this minimally-invasive therapy that aims to slow down or stop the progression of the corneal deformation due to keratoconus. Learn more about corneal collagen cross-linking.
- Dr. Albert Jun is researching cell-based approaches for corneal transplantation.
- Dr. Christina Prescott is engaged in research relating to pediatric corneal surgery, to determine which surgical modifications and post-operative management strategies are most successful in pediatric corneal transplantation.
Ebola Eye Disease
- Dr. Allen Eghrari is co-leading the PREVAIL III eye substudy, the largest Ebola eye study.
A Medical Science Mission for Eye Care in Ebola Survivors
Among the less-discussed impacts of defeating Ebola: a host of lingering health effects, including long-term vision problems. Allen Eghrari, M.D., leads a field study in West Africa to catalog and characterize the eye complications of Ebola. Read More.
Dry Eye and Sjogren's Syndrome
- Dr. Esen Akpek is exploring the association of dry eye disease and Sjögren’s syndrome.
- Dr. Albert Jun is exploring the cellular causes and non-surgical treatments for Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy.
- Dr. Allen Eghrari is researching the epidemiology of Fuchs Dystrophy and novel approaches to its treatment.
- Dr. Shameema Sikder is working to establish an eye bank in Bangladesh. Learn more about her research.
- Yassine Daoud, M.D. is exploring the pathology and psychology of keratoconus and age-related macular degeneration in order to develop new therapies.
- Dr. Albert Jun, Dr. Shukti Chakravarti and Dr. Uri Soiberman are leading research of the cellular and genetic causes of keratoconus. Learn more about Dr. Chakravarti's lab.
Lasers in Eye Surgery
- Dr. Yassine Daoud is exploring outcomes and additional uses of lasers in ocular surgery.
- Dr. Shameema Sikder is exploring the use of technology to improve surgical education, beginning with applications in cataract surgery and partial-thickness cornea transplant procedures (DMEK).
- Dr. Oliver Schein is developing cornea replacement tissue and related ocular materials through materials science and engineering approaches, such as leveraging stem cells, biomaterials and tissue-derived scaffolds to regenerate corneal endothelium.
Technology in Ophthalmology
- Dr. Allen Eghrari is focusing on mobile technology and ophthalmology (development of portable eye exams and validation of these mobile resources).