July 19, 2012
The Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Medicine commemorated the grand opening of its Bel Air and Havre de Grace locations (both formerly Parris-Castoro Eye Care Centers) during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on July 18. These two sites represent the ninth and tenth satellite offices in the state for the Wilmer Eye Institute.
Dignitaries throughout Harford County and representatives from Johns Hopkins Medicine attended the event. Among them were Ronald R. Peterson, president of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System and executive vice president of Johns Hopkins Medicine, and Peter J. McDonnell, M.D., William Holland Wilmer Professor of Ophthalmology and director of the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Medicine.
“Johns Hopkins Hospital was founded in 1889 based on the principles of excellence in patient care, research and education. Our goal for Johns Hopkins Medicine is to serve as many communities as possible and to provide a broader spectrum of patient care, expand our resources for teaching and research, and provide the community with excellent care,” said Peterson. “We are excited that the Wilmer Eye Institute, one of the crown jewels of Johns Hopkins Medicine, will now have a presence in Harford County.”
McDonnell is looking forward to continued success with this newly expanded team to bring the latest eye care and surgical techniques, and the most groundbreaking research, to patients. “Parris-Castoro has a long history of providing the community with high-quality eye care; we look forward to continuing that care with the Parris-Castoro team and expanding the specialty services available to the community.”