Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Wilmer laser surgeons have participated in a multicenter clinical trial which led to FDA approval of the new Visx "WaveScan" wavefront technology for LASIK treatment of mild to moderate nearsightedness and astigmatism.
In wavefront-guided LASIK, as performed at Wilmer, the patient undergoes a rigorous pre-surgical evaluation, including the new wavefront analysis, lasting up to two hours. Based on the extensive and highly detailed information obtained in the evaluation, Wilmer surgeons then plan and perform the LASIK procedure.
Trial Outcomes After Six Months
Six months after surgery, Wilmer surgeons reported the following visual outcomes for wavefront-guided LASIK:
- 96% of treated eyes achieved uncorrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better
- 71% of treated eyes achieved uncorrected visual acuity of 20/16 or better
- 47% of treated eyes achieved a better uncorrected visual acuity than their pre-surgical corrected visual acuity
- 70% of treated eyes had either a decrease or almost no change in high-order aberration
- The procedure has an excellent safety profile.
For more information about Wilmer wavefront-guided LASIK or refractive surgery in general, please sign up for one of our free seminars or call us at 410-583-2802.