Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Professor and Associate Chair, International Health
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Phone: 410 955 7016
B.Sc. University of Cape Town, Economics, Statistics
M.S. Princeton University, Mathematical Statistics
Sc.D., Johns Hopkins University, International Health
My research is oriented towards the reduction of mortality and morbidity in underserved populations in the United States and abroad, with a discipline base in epidemiology and biostatistics. Broad substantive areas include ophthalmic epidemiology and blindness prevention, and the impact of micronutrient deficiencies on health and survival. Current ophthalmic research projects include a population-based survey of pediatric eye disease in Baltimore, statistical collaboration on the Multi-center Uveitis Steroid Treatment (MUST) trial, and a study of presbyopia and refractive errors in Nepal. Other current research includes a 67,000 person randomized community trial of antenatal micronutrient supplements to reduce maternal and infant mortality in Bangladesh, a trial of daily iron and zinc supplements to improve survival among preschool children in Nepal, testing of an antiseptic wash and improved cord care for newborns to reduce neonatal mortality and morbidity in Nepal, and a long-term evaluation of the impact of micronutrient supplements on health, growth and cognition of Nepali children. Past ophthalmic research includes the Baltimore Eye Surveys, blindness surveys in Malawi, Zambia, Bulgaria, and South India, supplementation trials of vitamin A to reduce xerophthalmia and improve child survival in India, Nepal and Indonesia, analysis of visual field progression in glaucoma, an evaluation of pre-operative medical testing for cataract surgery, myopia in school age children in Singapore, ocular trauma epidemiology and a treatment trial for corneal ulcers in Nepal.
1. Katz J. The rust on the magic bullet: antioxidants for cataract prevention bite the dust. Br J Ophthalmol 2006;90:811.
2. Katz J, Christian P, Dominici F, Zeger SL. Treatment Effects of Maternal Micronutrient Supplementation vary by Percentiles of the Birth Weight Distribution in rural Nepal. J Nutr 2006;136:1389-94.
3. Mullany LC, Darmstadt GL, Khatry SK, Katz J, LeClerq SC, Shrestha SR, Adhikari R, Tielsch JM. Topical applications of chlorhexidine to the umbilical cord for prevention of neonatal omphalitis and neonatal mortality in southern Nepal: a community-based, cluster-randomized trial. Lancet 2006;367:910-18.
4. Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Stoltzfus RJ, Katz J, Adhikari R, LeClerq S, Mullany LC, Shresta SR, Black R. Effect of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on preschool child mortality in southern Nepal: community-based, cluster-randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2006;367:144-52.
5. Schein OD, McNally JJ, Katz J, Chalmers RL, Tielsch JM, Alfonso E, Bullimore M, O’Day D, Shovlin J. The incidence of microbial keratitis among wearers of a 30-day silicone hydrogel extended- wear contact lens. Ophthalmology 2005;112:2172-9.
6. Nirmalan PK, Tielsch JM, Katz J, Thulasiraj RD, Krishnadas R, Ramakrishnan R, Robin AL. Relationship between vision impairment and eye diseases on vision specific quality of life and function in a rural population of south India: The Aravind Comprehensive Eye Survey. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2005;46:2308-2312.
7. Saw SM, Tong L, Chua WH, Chia KS, Koh D, Tan DTH, Katz J. Incidence and Progression of Myopia in Singapore School Children. Inv Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2005;46:51-7.
8. Katz J, Khatry SK, Thapa MD, Schein OD, Pradhan EK, LeClerq SC, West KP, Jr. A randomized trial of povidone-iodine to reduce visual impairment from corneal ulcers in rural Nepal. Br J Ophthalmol 2004;88:1487-92.
9. Katz J, West KP Jr, Khatry SK, Christian P, LeClerq SC, Pradhan EK, Shrestha SR. Risk factors for early infant mortality in Sarlahi district, Nepal. Bull World Health Organ 2003;81:717-25.
10. Katz J, Feldman MA, Bass EB, Lubomski LH, Tielsch JM, Petty BG, Fleisher LA, Schein OD. Risks and benefits of anticoagulant and antiplatelet medication use prior to cataract surgery. Ophthalmology 2003;110(9):1784-87.
11. Thulasiraj RD, Nirmalan PK, Ramakrishnan R, Krishnadas R, Selvaraj S, Baburajan NP, Katz J, Robin AL, Tielsch JM. Blindness and vision impairment in a rural South Indian population: The Aravind Comprehensive Eye Survey. Ophthalmology 2003;110:1491-8.
12. Rahmathullah L, Tielsch JM, Thulasiraj RD, Katz J, Coles, C, Devi S, John RK, Sadanand AV, Edwin, Kamaraj. Impact of Newborn Vitamin A Dosing on Early Infant Mortality: A Community-Based Randomized Trial in South India. BMJ 2003;327:254-7.
13. Katz J, Schein OD, Levy B, Cruiscullo T, Saw SM, Rajan U, Chan TK, Khoo CY. A randomized trial to assess the impact of rigid gas permeable contact lenses on progression of children’s myopia. Am J Ophthalmol 2003;136(1):82-90.
14. Katz J, Feldman MA, Bass EB, Lubomski LH, Tielsch JM, Petty BG, Fleisher LA, Schein OD. Adverse intra-operative medical events and their association with anesthesia management strategies in cataract surgery. Ophthalmology 2001;108:1721-6.
15. Katz J, Feldman MA, Bass EB, Lubomski LH, Tielsch JM, Petty BG, Schein OD. Injectable versus topical anesthesia for cataract surgery: patient perceptions of pain and side effects of anesthesia. Ophthalmology 2000;107:2054-60.
16. Katz J. A comparison of the pattern and total deviation based Glaucoma Change Probability Programs. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000;41:1012-6.
17. Schein OD, Katz J, Bass EB, Tielsch JM, Lubomski LH, Feldman MA, Petty BG, Steinberg EP. The value of routine preoperative medical testing for cataract surgery: a randomized trial. N Engl J Med 2000;342:168-75.
18. Katz J, Congdon N, Friedman D. Methodological variations in estimating apparent progressive visual field loss in clinical trials of glaucoma treatment. Arch Ophthalmol 1999;117:1137-42.
19. Katz J. Scoring systems for measuring progression of visual field loss in clinical trials of glaucoma treatment. Ophthalmology 1999;106:391-5.
Read Dr. Katz's CV