A. Edward Maumenee Professor of Ophthalmology
Wilmer 122, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Phone: 410 955 6052
MD: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Residency: The Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins University
Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Institute, University of Miami, Miami, FL
Public Health Aspects of Glaucoma
Models have been constructed by our group to enumerate the worldwide prevalence of glaucoma and its morbidity. The rate of progression of disease has been estimated from clinic-based and population-based prevalence data. How glaucoma might be identified and treated in developed and developing countries is being investigated.
Clinical Research in Glaucoma
Imaging techniques that are critical to diagnosis and followup have been developed and tested. Patient cooperation with glaucoma therapy has been found to be inadequate and interventions to improve it are being studied.
Pathogenesis of Glaucoma Damage
Laboratory studies of experimental mouse and rat models of glaucoma and other optic nerve lesions are being used to test the main pathways to retinal ganglion cell death in glaucoma. Gene therapy experiments using viral vectors have had success in reducing ganglion cell death.
Progenitor Cell Replacement of Neurons
Ciliary-derived progenitor cells are being produced to test the hypothesis that neuronal replacement is feasible in retinas depleted of ganglion cells.
1. Quigley HA, Broman A. The number of persons with glaucoma worldwide in 2010 and 2020. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:151-156.
2. Quigley HA. Glaucoma: Macrocosm to Microcosm. The 2004 Jonas S. Friedenwald Lecture. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. SS2005;2663-70.
3. Friedman DS, Nordstrom BL, Mozaffari E, Quigley HA. Women may be undertreated for adult-onset open-angle glaucoma Ophthalmology. 2005;112:1494-9.
4. Farkas RW, Chowers I, Hackam AS, Kageyama M , Nickells RW, Otteson DC,Duh EJ, Wang C, Valenta DF, Gunatilaka TL,Pease ME, Quigley HA, Zack DJ. Increased expression of iron-regulating genes in monkey and human glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:1410-1417.
5. Blair M, Pease ME, Hammond J, Valenta D, Kielczewski J, Levkovitch-Verbin H, Quigley HA. Effect of glatiramer acetate on primary and secondary degeneration of retinal ganglion cells in the rat. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:884-890.
6. Aung T, Friedman DS, Chew PTK, Gazzard G, Ang LP, Lai Y-F, Yip L, Lai H, Quigley HA, Seah SKL. Long-term outcomes in Asians after acute primary angle-closure. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:1464-1469.
7. Martin KRG, Quigley HA, Zack DJ, Levovitch-Verbin H, Kielczewski J, Valenta D, Baumrind L, Pease ME, Klein RL, Hauswirth WW. Gene therapy with brain-derived neurotrophic factor protects retinal ganglion cells in a rat glaucoma model. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:4357-65.
8. Friedman DS, Gazzard G, Foster P, Devereux J, Broman A, Quigley HA. Ultrasonographic biomicroscopy, Scheimpflug photography, and novel provocative tests in contralateral eyes of Chinese patients initially seen with acute angle closure. Arch Ophthalmol. 2003:121; 633-642.
9. Quigley HA, Park CK, Tracey PA, Pollack IP. Community screening for eye disease by lay persons: the Hoffberger program. Am J Ophthalmol. 2002;133:386-392.
10. Levkovitch-Verbin H, Quigley HA, Martin KRG, Valenta D, Kerrigan-Baumrind LA, Pease ME. Translimbal laser photocoagulation to the trabecular meshwork as a model of glaucoma in rats. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:402-410.
11. Quigley HA, West SK, Rodriguez J, Munoz B, Klein R, Snyder R. The Prevalence of glaucoma in a population-based study of Hispanics: Proyecto Ver. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001:119;1819-1826.
12. McKinnon SJ, Lehman DM, Kerrigan-Baumrind LA, et al (Quigley HA). Caspase activation and amyloid precursor protein cleavage in rat ocular hypertension. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:1077-87.
13. Quigley HA, West SK, Rodriguez J, Munoz B, Klein R, Snyder R. The prevalence of glaucoma in a population-based study of Hispanics: Projecto Ver. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001:119;1819-1826.
14. Quigley HA, Buhrmann RR, West SK, Isseme I, Scudder M, Oliva MS. Long-term results of glaucoma surgery among participants in an east African population survey. Br J Ophthalmol. 2000;84:860-864.