Professor, Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology
Wilmer 120, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Academic office: 410-614-1342
Professor, Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD 2008-present
Professor, International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, 2008-present
Director Glaucoma Fellowship Program, Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD, 2008-present
Associate Professor, Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD 2002-2008
Associate Professor, International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 2002-2008
Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology; Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD, 1996-June 2002
Education and Post-Graduate Training
Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD, Glaucoma Training Program July 1996-June 1998
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. Doctorate of Epidemiology; 2007
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. Masters of Public Health; 1997
Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA. Resident Surgeon Ophthalmology July 1993 - June 1996
New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, MA. Medical Intern; July 1992 - June 1993
Cicendo Eye Hospital, Bandung, Indonesia. Researcher (vitamin A deficiency) September 1990 - May 1991
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA. Doctor of Medicine; May 1992
Yale University, New Haven, CT. Bachelor of Arts in East Asian Studies; May 1985
Taiwan National University, Taipei, Taiwan. Scholar in Chinese language; September 1986 - June 1987
Beijing Teachers College, Beijing, China. Instructor in English; January - June 1984
Middlebury Summer School, Middlebury, VT. Student of Chinese language; June - August 1982
Honors and Awards
American Geriatrics Society Douglas Jahnigen Award (2003-2005)
Research to Prevent Blindness Robert E. McCormick Award (2000)
National Eye Institute Clinician Scientist Award (1996-2001)
Alpha Omega Delta Society (1996)
Roy O. Scholz Award (1992)
Paul Dudley White Scholarship Recipient (1990)
Stanford University Scholarship Recipient (1987)
Fulbright Scholarship Finalist (1987)
Distinction in Major (1985)
Phi Beta Kappa (1985)
Summa cum laude Yale University (1985)
1. Friedman DS, O'Colmain BJ, Munoz B, Tomany SC, McCarty C, de Jong PT, Nemesure B, Mitchell P, Kempen J; Eye Diseases Prevalence Research Group. Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration in the United States. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004 Apr;122(4):564-72.
2. Congdon N, O'Colmain B, Klaver CC, Klein R, Munoz B, Friedman DS, Kempen J, Taylor HR, Mitchell P; Eye Diseases Prevalence Research Group. Causes and prevalence of visual impairment among adults in the United States. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004 Apr;122(4):477-85.
3. Friedman DS, Wolfs RC, O'Colmain BJ, Klein BE, Taylor HR, West S, Leske MC, Mitchell P, Congdon N, Kempen J; Eye Diseases Prevalence Research Group. Prevalence of open-angle glaucoma among adults in the United States. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004 Apr;122(4):532-8.
4. Ramakrishnan R, Nirmalan PK, Krishnadas R, Thulasiraj RD, Tielsch JM, Katz J, Friedman DS, Robin AL. Glaucoma in a rural population of southern India: The Aravind Comprehensive Eye Survey. Ophthalmology. 2003 Aug;110(8):1484-90.
5. Jampel HD, Friedman DS, Lubomski LH, Kempen JH, Quigley H, Congdon N, Levkovitch-Verbin H, Robinson KA, Bass EB. Effect of technique on intraocular pressure after combined cataract and glaucoma surgery: An evidence-based review. Ophthalmology. 2002 Dec; 109(12): 2215-24; quiz 2225, 2231.
6. Gazzard G, Friedman DS, Devereux J, Chew P, Seah S. A prospective ultrasound biomicroscopy evaluation of changes in anterior segment morphology after laser iridotomy in Asian eyes. Ophthalmology 2003;110:630-638.
7. Friedman DS, Jampel HD, Lubomski LH, Kempen JH, Quigley H, Congdon N, Levkovitch-Verbin H, Robinson KA, Bass EB. Surgical strategies for coexisting glaucoma and cataract: an evidence-based update. Ophthalmology. 2002 Oct; 109(10): 1902 – 1913.
8. Friedman DS, Bass EB, Lubomski LH, Fleisher LA, Kempen JH, Magaziner J, Sprintz M, Robinson K, Schein OD. Synthesis of the literature on the effectiveness of regional anesthesia for cataract surgery. Ophthalmology 2001;108:519-529.
9. Friedman DS, Katz J, Bressler NM, Rahmani B, Tielsch JM. Racial differences in the prevalence of age-related macular degeneration: The Baltimore Eye Survey. Ophthalmology 1999;106: 1049-1055.
10. Quigley HA, Friedman DS, Congdon NG. Possible mechanisms of primary angle-closure and malignant glaucoma. J Glaucoma. 2003;12:167-80.
11. Congdon NG, Friedman DS, Lietman T. Important causes of visual impairment in the world today. JAMA 2003; 290: 2057-2060.
12. Friedman, DS, Who needs an iridotomy?, Br J Ophthalmol 2001 Sep;85(9):1019-21.
Member: American Academy of Ophthalmology Glaucoma Preferred Practice Patterns Panel
Editorial Board Member: Ophthalmology, Journal of Glaucoma
Co-chair: World Glaucoma Association Research Committee
Chairman: American Glaucoma Society Practice Guidelines Sub-Committee (2006-present)
Fluent in Mandarin
Proficient in Medical Spanish
View Dr. Friedman's complete CV