In This Section      
Print This Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is UHS located?

Our center is located at 933 N. Wolfe St., adjacent to the 929 Student Apartments.

What are your hours?

For primary care we are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and every Tuesday and Thursday from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm. However, please call ahead to verify if we are open on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. In the event of inclement weather, please call ahead to confirm that we are open during our regular hours.

For mental health services, we are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. In the event of inclement weather, please call ahead to confirm that we are open during our regular hours.

What should I do if there is an emergency?

Call 911 for life-threatening situations. The ambulance will take you to the closest emergency department.

If you need to urgently speak with a provider when the clinic is closed, please call one of the on-call numbers below.

For primary care, call the Johns Hopkins page operator at (410) 955-4331, and they will get in touch with the on-call physician for you.

For mental health services, call (410) 955-1892 and press '0'.

How much does it cost to be seen at the UHS Clinic?

There is no charge for office visits if you are a full-time, Baltimore-based student in the Schools of Medicine, Public Health or Nursing, an Intern, Resident, Clinical or Post-doctoral Fellow or if you are a spouse and you have the Student EHP Insurance. There is also no charge if you are a part time Nursing student and have paid the Health Service Fee.

Can I have my own doctor at UHS?

For primary care, you will be assigned your own provider at UHS who will follow you for the duration of your studies in East Baltimore. Please call your provider's number directly to reach their assistant for any problems or issues or to make an appointment to be seen.

For mental health services, you will be assigned a provider who will see you as many times it is medically necessary to treat your condition.

I have a problem that I need to discuss with my provider, but the office is closed. What should I do?

If the problem can wait until we are open, please call your doctor’s number in the morning to speak with his/her assistant.

For primary care, if the problem cannot wait, please call the Johns Hopkins Hospital’s page operator at (410) 955-4331 and ask them to page your assigned physician. If you don't know who your assigned physician is, the page operator will page the UHS nurse practitioner who will return your call.

For mental health services, call (410) 955-1892 and press '0'.

I do not carry the Student EHP Insurance, but I have a medical problem. Can I be still be seen at the UHS Clinic?

As a full time student, your insurance status does not affect your ability to access our services. All full time students in East Baltimore have been assessed a health fee by your School's Student Accounts or Business Office, which grants you full access to our services. All Johns Hopkins and Bayview Hospital house staff have full access to our services as do all post-doctoral fellows.

Spouses/Domestic Partners must carry the EHP Student Health Plan in order to access our services.

Where is the closest pharmacy?

Monument Street Outpatient Pharmacy

Location: 1810 East Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21205

Hours: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
Phone: 410-502-5735/ 888-264-0393
Fax: 410-502-5734

There is a second Johns Hopkins Outpatient Pharmacy located at the Arcade.

Johns Hopkins Outpatient Pharmacy at the Arcade

Location: 1800 Orleans Street M2125
Baltimore, MD 21287

Hours: 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
Phone: 443-287-9200/ 888-264-0393
Fax: 443-287-9230

Click here for all Johns Hopkins Outpatient Pharmacies.

Can I get a prescription for birth control pills at UHS?

Yes, you may get a prescription for birth control pills from us if you are receiving your gynecological care from us. This means that your annual exams and Pap smear tests are performed at UHS. If you are receiving your gynecological care from a private, non-UHS physician, please contact their office to obtain your prescription.

I received a bill, but I don’t think it’s correct.  What should I do?

Call the UHS billing/benefits at (410) 955-3872 and speak with the manager, Darnell Williams, or visit Darnell Williams at the UHS clinic.

For other billing-related questions, please visit our billing web page.

I need to see a specialist. Do I need a referral from UHS?

There are 2 things you should know regarding referrals:

As a general rule, most Hopkins specialists will not see a patient without a referral from a primary care physician, and many times they may ask to review your records prior to seeing you. This is to ensure that their appointment slots are being used judiciously. Please call or make an appointment with your UHS provider to discuss whether a referral is indicated.

If you have the Johns Hopkins Student Health Plan, the general rule is that you will not require a referral to see specialists you have established care and are following up with.

Below are a few examples which illustrate these principles:

Example 1:  You have a chronic health condition for which you are seeing a Hopkins specialist every 6 months.  Should you get a referral from UHS?

Answer: You do not need a referral from UHS for this purpose.  You may continue to see your specialist without a referral and the Student Health Plan will cover the full benefit.

Example 2: You recently learned about a disease and you believe that you may have it. You feel that you should see a specialist to diagnose and treat you for it. Should you get a referral from UHS?

Answer: You should contact your UHS physician regarding your concern and come in for an appointment.  All UHS physicians are board certified general internists and Johns Hopkins faculty who are trained to recognize diseases affecting adults and, in many cases, can treat you without the need to wait many weeks or months to see a specialist.