I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
What is your job title?
Clinical Nurse Specialist in Transplantation and Coordinator of the Kidney Paired Donation Program at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
What is your job?
I work within the Incompatible Kidney Transplant Program to manage and develop the Kidney Paired Donation Program. This program matches incompatible donor and recipient pairs with those that are compatible through the utilization of software programs designed to optimally match pairs. My job is to maintain the databases, educate donors and recipients about the program, facilitate and coordinate the actual exchange transplants, plan logistics and promote the program with the health team members both within and outside Johns Hopkins Hospital.
When did you start working at Johns Hopkins?
When did you start working in transplantation?
What is your education?
I have a Master's Degree in Nursing from the University of Pennsylvania.
Why do you work with transplant patients?
In the late 1970's as an Intensive Care nurse, I observed first hand the miracle of transplantation as it was a very new area of medicine at that time. I was overwhelmed by the goodness of families as I cared for their loved ones when they became organ donors. These experiences so impressed me that I have dedicated my nursing career to caring for recipients and donors as they pursue their goal of transplantation and donation.
What else do you want people to know about you?
- I am a living kidney donor (January 2010).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Progress in Transplantation, since 1991
- Active Member of the Organ Procurement and Transplant Network (OPTN) / United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Joint Subcommittee on Live Donor Paired Kidney Exchange (November 2004 - Present)
- Member of the International Transplant Nurses Society (since 1998)
- Member of the North American Transplant Coordinators Organization (NATCO) (since 1988)
- Received Excellence in Nursing Award, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital, May 2005, 2007, 2009.
What have you published?
Publications can be accessed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed.