Our surgeons provide state-of-the-art surgical techniques and cancer therapies, with a major focus in research of early diagnosis, better cancer staging, and prediction of recurrent disease in lung and esophageal cancer. We take a multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and other diseases of the chest, so we can streamline the patient experience with all thoracic specialists at Johns Hopkins.
Our thoracic surgeons treat the following diseases:
- Lung cancer
- Benign diseases and tumors of the lung
- Chest reconstruction after major trauma or surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery for emphysema
- Esophageal cancer
- Benign esophageal diseases (including achalasia, benign tumors and strictures)
- Esophageal reconstruction
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Mediastinal tumors and diseases (including the surgical treatment of myasthenia gravis)
- Pleural diseases (including pneumothorax, infections and pleural effusions)
- Chest wall tumors
- Sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Plication for diaphragm paralysis
- Tracheal resection or stent insertion for airway narrowing
- Lung transplantation for end-stage diseases of the lung
Watch a video about hyperhidrosis. Learn about your treatment options for excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis, with Dr. Malcolm Brock, thoracic surgeon. Watch the webinar.
Our Thoracic Surgeons
Dr. Richard Battafarano, M.D.
Chief, Division of General Thoracic Surgery
Regional Director,General Thoracic Surgery at Johns Hopkins Medicine
Malcolm V. Brock, M.D.
Director of Clinical and Translational Research in Thoracic Surgery
Daniela Molena, M.D.
Director, Robotic and Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery
Director of Thoracic Surgery, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Stephen C. Yang, M.D.
Associate Vice Chair
Faculty Development and Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery
Our thoracic surgeons see patients at both The Johns Hopkins Hospital in downtown Baltimore, Maryland and the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
For new patient appointments, please call 443-997-1508.