Our multidisciplinary team of health professionals is dedicated to improving the quality of life for those recovering from a heart attack, heart surgery or other cardiovascular disease. Suburban Hospital's Casey Center cardiac rehabilitation facility, conveniently located within the hospital, offers a structured program of education, exercise and peer support designed to guide positive lifestyle modification.
Cardiac rehabilitation has four main components: medical evaluation, medically monitored physical activity, lifestyle education and psychosocial support. Participants learn how to exercise safely, eat a heart-healthy diet and manage stress. Exercise is conducted in a medically supervised and structured setting, with each program individually designed by exercise physiologists and cardiac nurses to meet the participant's particular needs and abilities.
One-on-one counseling with a dietitian assists participants in developing and adhering to a heart-healthy diet. A health behavior counselor is available to help participants cope with all of the changes in lifestyle that occur when one is diagnosed with heart disease or risk factors for heart disease.
Suburban Hospital's Cardiac Rehabilitation program is appropriate for those individuals who have been diagnosed with or are candidates for:
- Heart attack/myocardial infarction
- Heart valve replacement/repairs
- Stable angina
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- PTCA stents
Your doctor may recommend a cardiac rehabilitation program to help you and your heart to regain strength, to prevent further health complications and to reduce your risk of future heart problems. Cardiac rehabilitation is an option for people of all ages and all types of cardiovascular disease.
Suburban Hospital's Cardiac Rehabilitation Program consists of the following phases:
- Phase I: Occurs while you are still in the hospital and consists of bedside education sessions and preparation for discharge to home or another facility
- Phase II: Lifestyle changes, on an outpatient basis, for those who have just been diagnosed with heart disease. Participants attend the program three days a week for approximately three months
- Phase III / Maintenance: Ongoing exercise and support for those people who have completed a Phase II program
For more information, read about our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program or call 301-896-2096.
You may also contact your physician and inform him/her of your interest in cardiac rehabilitation. Your physician will need to send a referral form along with other health history information to get you enrolled in the program.
Find a Physician
If you need to find a physician, call Suburban Hospital's PhysicianMatch Referral line at 855-JHM-3939.