Facts & Figures
Key Statistics About Suburban Hospital
- Suburban Hospital is an acute-care, medical-surgical hospital featuring all major services except obstetrics. Admissions total more than 14,000 annually.
- Fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
- Certified Total Joint Replacement Program by the Joint Commission.
- Serves as the designated regional trauma center for Montgomery County, one of nine regional trauma centers in Maryland. Fully equipped with an elevated helipad. Treats about 1,500 trauma patients each year.
- Certified as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medicine Systems Services. (MIEMSS)
- Certified Cardiac Catheterization Program by MIEMSS.
- Major services: comprehensive cancer and radiation oncology center accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer; NIH Heart Center at Suburban Hospital providing cardiac surgery, elective and emergency angioplasty as well as inpatient, diagnostic, and rehabilitation services; orthopedics with joint replacement and physical rehabilitation; behavioral health; neurosciences including a designated Primary Stroke Center and 24/7 stroke team; and senior care programs.
- Other services include NIH-Suburban MRI Center; a center for sleep disorders; a 24-hour stroke team; state-of-the-art diagnostic pathology and radiology departments; an Addiction Treatment Center offering outpatient programs for adolescents and adults; prevention and wellness programs; and a free physician referral service (Suburban On-Call).
- Suburban Hospital enjoys a solid financial position, including an "A" rating of its bonds from Moody's and Standard and Poor's.
- Suburban Hospital has various strategic partnerships with local and national healthcare providers including the National Institutes of Health.
- Governance by 23-member volunteer Board of Trustees from the community:
- Chairman: David C. Silver
- President: Gene E. Green, M.D.
- Medical Staff: 1,000+
- Beds: 236
- Hospital Employees: 1,800+
- Nursing Staff: 500+
- Volunteers: 450+
Suburban Hospital Joint Ventures and Affiliations
- The National Institutes of Health
- NRH/Suburban Regional Rehab (A physical rehabilitation network of Suburban Hospital and the National Rehabilitation Hospital)
- Potomac Home Health Care and Potomac Home Support (with Sibley Memorial Hospital)
- GCM-Suburban Imaging
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
(Fiscal Year 2014)
- Admissions: 13,209
- Average length of stay (days): 4.56
- Emergency room visits: More than 43,622
- Hospital Outpatient Surgery Cases: 6,279
For More Information
Please call Suburban On-Call at 301-896-3939 or our Public Relations staff at 301-896-2598.