Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Share this page: More
Austere Medicine/Wilderness Medicine
‘Austere Medicine’ is the practice of medicine in a resource-constrained environment-
In the wilderness, in developing countries and after a disaster
Medicine practiced in austere environments has become increasing popular and common, but thus far there has been no uniform approach to training. With this course we are offering a multidisciplinary elective that seeks to train medical students for practice in any low-resource environment. The program is designed to improve skills in any practice environment- in the hospital, on the street, in the woods, in a developing country, after a disaster.
Using a universal approach the student will learn critical skills needed for international humanitarian assistance, disaster medicine and wilderness medicine. Each day will be a combination of lectures and practical experiences. The classroom teaching by diverse experienced faculty will be reinforced by field time in each of the disciplines through simulation and hands on learning in a multitude of environments.
Universal Skills of Austere Medicine:
- A standard, ABCD-based approach to multiple patients: Trauma, Medical, Pediatric, OB/Gyn
- Run any code, any time, any where
- Emergency-based medical approach: Triage, Efficiency of intervention, Diagnosis of Consequence
- Prioritizing your differential for maximum benefit
- Creative problem solving
- Improvising care for any setting
- Basic injuries stabilization and management
- Important domestic and global infectious diseases
Public Health Skills
- Practical epidemiology
- Food and Nutrition
- Water and Sanitation
- Cultural adaptation
- Living with limited resources
- Gear and equipment, How to be comfortable in any environment: water, food, shelter, safety
- Environmental safety: Weather and war
No experience is required. There will be a reasonable course fee to cover the cost of lodging, equipment and site rental for the various locales.
Austere Medicine will prepare you for any possible practice environment.