April 8, 2013
M E M O R A N D U M
TO: First Year Medical Students
FROM: Thomas W. Koenig, M.D.
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
RE: 2013 Summer Research Opportunity
Financial support from the Office of the Dean is available for first year medical students who choose to spend time during the summer of 2013 completing a summer research opportunity (SRO). This funding is only available for work with Johns Hopkins University faculty members.
The maximum amount is $3,000 for 6/16/13 through 8/15/13. If your SRO covers less than this time period, the funding will be pro-rated accordingly.
Students receiving 12 months of other funding (i.e., MSTP, Ph.D. or military students) are not eligible for funding. Please see the application for other funding restrictions.
If you are interested in a participating in this program and have already identified an opportunity, please complete the forms as indicated below and bring them to the Student Affairs office in MRB 137 no later than May 2, 2013.
If you wish to participate in this program, but do not know of a research opportunity, please visit the Student Research Opportunities web site. After logging in with your JHED ID and password, you can click on “Search Positions Profile” to see all available positions or you can search for positions or faculty members by keyword or department. Once you find a position that interests you, contact the faculty member to discuss it.
To apply for funding from the Dean’s Office:
1) Complete the 2013 Summer Research Application using Microsoft Word. Forward it to your preceptor by e-mail so that he/she may complete the Preceptor’s page using Microsoft Word prior to printing out the application for signature. Print the remainder of your application and initial/sign where needed. Bring your completed application, including the signed Preceptor's page, and the forms and documents mentioned below to MRB137.
2) Complete the Federal W-4, and Maryland State tax withholding forms. Additional resources that you may find useful include a list of frequently asked questions regarding income tax withholding and a brief explanation of income tax withholding exemptions. If you have questions about completing the withholding forms, contact the JHU Tax Office at 443-997-8688. Student Affairs personnel can NOT answer tax questions.
3) You must also submit a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Complete Part I of the form on-line (see instructions here). Part II will be completed by Student Affairs personnel when you turn in your application. You must bring the original documents necessary to complete Part II of your I-9 form when you turn in your application and forms (see attached list of acceptable documents).
4) Direct Deposit of your pay check is available. Complete the Direct Deposit Authorization form and submit it in one of the following ways:
- Turn the form in to the Student Affairs office with your application.
- E-mail the completed form directly to Payroll Shared Service at DirectDeposits@jhu.edu
- After 6/16/13, submit your Direct Deposit request via the Employee Self-Service web site at http://ess.johnshopkins.edu.
Direct Deposit requires at least one payroll cycle before taking effect.
In order to be considered for this funding, please submit the completed application and all forms to the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Office of Student Affairs, MRB 137 by May 2, 2013.
Upon completion of your Summer Research Opportunity, please fill out the Summer Research Report form. Return this completed form by e-mail to SOMStudentAffairs@jhmi.edu no later than September 30, 2013.
If you have any questions, please contact my office at 410-955-3416.