Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program
(William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans)
ALL FIRST TIME BORROWERS of FEDERAL DIRECT LOANS (Unsubsidized) must complete the following activities before funds are disbursed to your student billing account:
- Electronically sign a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
- Complete the Entrance Interview Form
- Read the Borrowers Rights and Responsibilities Summary ChecklistBy Federal Law, all first-time loan borrowers must be provided with entrance counseling explaining the student's rights and responsibilities for acceptance of the loans. Student who borrow from the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Programs are required to complete a Master Promissory Note. This is a one-time requirement for matriculation at the School of Medicine (Please note that NO ACTION IS NECESSARY for students that have previously borrowed Federal Direct Loans through The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine). A first-time borrower is someone who has not previously received a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. As a first time borrower, students must read the Entrance Counseling Guide for Direct Loan Borrowers on the web at http://www.studentloans.gov . Please give special attention to the “Rights and Responsibilities Summary Checklist”. Keep a copy of this guide for your records. NOTE: You are not required to submit this checklist to the Financial Aid Office.In addition, all first-time borrowers must sign a promissory note if you wish to receive the loan funds. Promissory notes can be completed online. The site is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week EXCEPT Sunday from 5:00 am -11:00 am (EST) and Monday from 12:01 am - 7:00 am (EST).
Your FAFSA PIN is required to complete this process. If you do not have a valid PIN, you must go to the Department of Education’s PIN site at: http://www.pin.ed.gov.
The electronic procedure for completing the promissory note is as follows:
- Log on to the E-MPN website at www.studentloans.gov
- Select the "Complete New MPN for Student Loans" option
- Provide your PIN number
- Be sure to select JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE when asked to provide the name of your school
- Follow the instructions
- Remember to print a copy of the promissory note for your records
It is important that you complete the process thoroughly and as soon as possible if you wish to receive your Federal Direct Student Loan. Your loan WILL NOT DISBURSE until all electronic documents are approved by JHU. A delay in completing this process will delay payment to your account. Once you have successfully e-signed the promissory note, the Financial Aid Office will automatically be notified of completion.
If you do not want to accept the Federal Direct Student Loan, want to make changes to the amount, or would prefer a paper promissory note instead of the online version, you must contact our office.
If you have questions or need additional assistance about the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or the U.S. Department of Education’s Direct Loan Servicing Center at (800) 848-0979 or via the web http://www.ed.gov/DirectLoan.