There's a certain satisfaction in knowing that you can truly make a difference in the future of an institution that has made such a meaningful difference in your own life. A gift to the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine reinforces your connection to your alma mater and supports its lasting commitment to education, collaborative research and patient care.
Some of the School of Medicine's top financial priorities are listed below. We also welcome the opportunity to talk with you further about your philanthropic support of specific areas that may be of special importance to you.
Questions about making a gift? Contact us.
School of Medicine Annual Fund
Unrestricted gifts to the School of Medicine Annual Fund support the School's highest priorities:
- Financial aid
- Faculty support
- Capital projects
These gifts also allow the School of Medicine to address unforeseen opportunities to enrich education and advance knowledge. In today's ever-changing scientific and technological setting, these gifts for current use are vital to our mission.
Annual Giving Scholarship Fund
In today's challenging economic times, more and more medical students are in need of financial assistance in order to attend medical school. More than 80 percent of our medical students receive some form of financial aid. Your gift to the Annual Giving Scholarship Fund provides immediate funding which will allow the School of Medicine to attract and retain the best and the brightest students regardless of their financial need.
The Institue for Excellence in Education (IEE)
Established in 2009, the IEE promotes, values, and advances the educational mission of the School of Medicine while enhancing the School’s leadership role in medical education nationally and internationally. Working closely with faculty, the IEE will set new standards of excellence, encourage educational research and scholarship, expand career development opportunities, and inspire and support innovative teaching techniques that meet the needs of a new generation of medical students. Read the 2012 annual report.
Mary Elizabeth Garrett Leadership Fund
This fund was established to honor the legacy of Miss Garrett, who changed the face of modern medicine by raising and contributing funds necessary to launch The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. With her gift, Miss Garrett contributed, not only to the advancement of women, but, in a great way, to the improvement of medical education by requiring Hopkins to become the first coeducational, graduate level medical school in the United States. The Mary Elizabeth Garrett Leadership Fund will serve as a recruiting tool to attract world renowned scholars with distinguished records of teaching, research and publication with a focus on promoting the careers of women in science and medicine.
Henry M. Seidel, M.D. '46 Scholarship Fund
Established in 1991, this fund was started by members of the Class of 1984 in honor of professor emeritus of pediatrics, Henry M. Seidel, Med ’46. Through the generosity of the medical classes of 1978 through 1990, this fund will benefit many deserving medical students while recognizing Dr. Seidel for his service to medical students as associate dean for student affairs
Sol Snyder Fund for M.D.-Ph.D. Education and Research Training
The Solomon H. Snyder Fund for M.D.-Ph.D. Education and Research Training was established in 2011. All gifts and pledges made to the Fund will benefit the M.D.-Ph.D. Program in the School of Medicine, providing financial support to M.D.-Ph.D. students to advance educational or research goals.
The Johns Hopkins Medicine Simulation Center
The Johns Hopkins Medicine Simulation Center is a state-of-the-art medical training facility that incorporates five types of simulation including: standardized patients, human patient simulation, virtual reality, task trainers and computerized simulation. The main goal of the Simulation Center is to improve safety within patient care. Current and future health care professionals “practice on plastic” honing their skills, refining advanced techniques and learning valuable social interactive tools for delivering important news to patients. This translational research becomes vital for creating the gold-standard in patient safety and medical teaching.
Do you have your owned named fund or wish to support a class fund or other priority? If so, please indicate your gift designation in the ‘Other’ field on the drop-down list of giving options on the online form.
Read some thank you letters from our students:
View photos from our annual Scholarship Reception:
Specific Funding Opportunities
- School of Medicine Annual Fund (unrestricted)
- Annual Giving Scholarship Fund
- Anne and Mike Armstrong Medical Education Building
- Genes to Society Education Fund
- Johns Hopkins Simulation Center
- Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives
- Art as Applied to Medicine
- Fund for Medical Discovery
- Henry M. Seidel, M.D. Scholarship Fund
- Institute for Excellence in Education
- Institute for Basic Biomedical Sciences
- Institute for Cell Engineering
- Levi Watkins, Jr., M.D. Scholarship Fund
- Lisa Heiser Memorial Endowed Lectureship Fund
- McKusick-Nathans Institute for Genetic Medicine
- Mary Elizabeth Garrett Leadership Fund
- Richard Starr Ross Fund for Physician Scientists
- The Solomon H. Snyder Fund for M.D.-Ph.D. Education and Research Training
- Stephen Pitcairn Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Vivien Thomas Fund for Diversity
- Welch Medical Library
Class Fundraising Efforts
- Class of 1926/Charles O'Donovan Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1936 Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1937 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1954 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1956 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1959 Loan Fund
- Class of 1960 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1962 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1964 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1965 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1966 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1967 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1969 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1973/Keith D. Maxwell, M.D. Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1976 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1978 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1980 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1983 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1984 Jennie Lee Batson, M.D. Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1985 Elaine Hefty Cleary Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1986 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1987 Gregory L. Plock Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1988 Denise M. Dufer, M.D. Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1991 Scholarship Fund
- Class of 1992 Rosemarie Hope Reid Memorial Fund
- Class of 1997 Adam T. Ross, M.D. Memorial Scholarship Fund