Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
- The School of Medicine Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award
- The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association Samuel P. Asper Award for Achievement in Advancing International Medical Education
- The Johns Hopkins Women's Medical Alumnae Association Hall of Fame
- The Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association Awards
The Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award honors those alumni (degree recipients, current and former faculty, fellows and house staff) of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins Hospital who have demonstrated excellence and achievement through their personal and professional accomplishments.
Catherine M. Bonuccelli, M.D. ‘83
Vanessa E. Cullins, M.D. ‘83
Charles W. Cummings, M.D., Faculty '91-present
Stephen V. Desiderio, M.D. ‘78, Ph.D. ‘81
George J. Dover, M.D., HS and Fellow '73-77; Faculty '77-present
Eileen P.G. “Patti” Vining, M.D. ‘72
Steven A. Rosenberg, M.D. '64; Krieger '61; Faculty '07
Robert J. Ruben, M.D. '59; HS '59-64; Faculty '65
John C. Ruckdeschel, M.D., HS '71-72
Henry N. Wagner, Jr., M.D. '52; Krieger '48; HS '53-55 and '58-59; Faculty '59-present
James P. Gills, Jr., M.D., HS '62-65
Carol W. Greider, Ph.D., Faculty '97-07
George W. Hambrick, Jr., M.D., Faculty '66-76
Jeffrey D. Rothstein, M.D., Ph.D., HS '86-89 and Faculty '89-07
Richard J. Traystman, Ph.D., Faculty '80-03
David Paton, M.D. '56
Stephen J. Ryan, Jr., M.D. '65
Charles D. Sherman Jr., M.D. '45
John D. Stobo, M.D., HS '68-73
J. Alex Haller, Jr., M.D. '51
Merel Harmel, M.D. '43 February
Bernard Lown, M.D. '45
Albert H. Owens, Jr., M.D. '49
Denton A. Cooley, M.D. '44
Simeon Margolis, M.D. '57, Ph.D. '64
Maclyn McCarty, M.D. '37
Henry M. Seidel, M.D. '46
Anthony S. Felsovanyi, M.D. '41
Bernadine P. Healy, M.D., HS and Fellow '71-84, Faculty '79-84
William P. Longmire, Jr., M.D. '38
Sherman M. Mellinkoff, M.D., HS and Faculty '47-53
Mary Ellen Avery, M.D. '52
Richard J. Johns, M.D. '48
Daniel Nathans, M.D., Faculty '62-96
Edyth H. Schoenrich, M.D., M.P.H., HS and Fellow '48-54
Huntington Sheldon, M.D. '56
Mary Betty Stephens, M.D. '55
Worth B. Daniels, Jr., M.D. '48
Irving J. Sherman, M.D. '40
Frank Hinman, Jr., M.D. '41
Frank A. Oski, M.D., Faculty '85-96
Leighton E. Cluff, M.D., HS '49-52, Faculty '54-66
Thomas W. Langfitt, M.D. '53
Martin Macht, M.D. '45, Ph.D. Krieger '42
David E. Rogers, M.D., Dean Emeritus
Richard S. Ross, M.D., Dean Emeritus
Thomas B. Turner, M.D., Dean Emeritus
Charles C. J. Carpenter, Jr., M.D. '56
Gottlieb C. Friesinger II, M.D. '55
C. Rollins Hanlon, M.D. '38
Carol J. Johns, M.D. '50
Robert Austrian, M.D. '41
George E. Farrar, Jr., M.D. '31
A. McGehee Harvey, M.D. '34
Victor A. McKusick, M.D. '46
James W. Haviland, M.D. '36
Jeremiah A. Barondess, M.D. '49
George W. Mitchell, Jr., M.D. '42
John E. Bordley, M.D. '29
Giles F. Filley, M.D. '42
Mark M. Ravitch, M.D. '34
Caroline Bedell Thomas, M.D. '30
Benjamin M. Baker, Jr., M.D. '27
Dr. and Mrs. J. O'Neal Humphries, M.D. '56
Herbert E. Sloan, Jr., M.D. '40
R. Carmichael Tilghman, M.D. '32
J. Donald Hubbard, M.D. '51
Nancy L. R. Bucher, M.D. '43 February
Thomas G. Vandivier, M.D. '54
The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
Samuel P. Asper Award for Achievement in Advancing International Medical Education
The Asper Award was established in honor of the vision of the late Samuel P. Asper, M.D. '40. A renowned Hopkins educator and physician, he served as Dean of the American University of Beirut School of Medicine in the mid-to-late 1970s. Dr. Asper believed that the Hopkins-trained physicians who are dedicated to fostering excellent medical care and education in a foreign country are continuing the outreach effort of Dr. William Osler, who traveled to China to assist in establishing Peking Medical Union College, and deserve recognition for their efforts. The Asper Award is presented once every two years during the Biennial Meeting of The Johns Hopkins Medical & Surgical Association to a member of the Association who has had a significant impact on the health and education of those in foreign countries.
2015: Sean P. Gaine, M.D. Post-Graduate Fellow-Respiratory Medicine, 1997; House Staff-Department of Medicine, 1992
2013: G. Johan A. Offerhaus, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D. Pathology, 1985-1991
2011: Ghazi S. Zaatari, M.D., Pathology, 1976-1980
2009: Marthanda Varma Sankaran Valiathan, M.D., Cardiac Surgery, trainee of Dr. Vincent Gott
2007: R. Bradley Sack, M.D., Sc.D., Department of Medicine, Infectious Diseases, 1962-1964
2005: Timothy S. Harrison, M.D. '53, Department of Surgery, 1956-1959
2003: Ming-liang Lee, M.D., Ph.D., Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, 1976-1977
2001: Mohsen Ziai, M.D. '52, Department of Pediatrics 1952-1953
1999: Wilson Hwei-yuen Lo, M.D. '51, Department of Medicine 1951-1954; Mario Paredes-Espinoza, Department of Medicine 1953-1957
1997: Rolando A. Chanis, Jr., M.D. '36; Manuel Preciado, M.D. '40; Julio C. Wong, M.D. '51
The Hall of Fame was established in 1993 to recognize the contributions to medicine of women who have preceded us and women who have worked with us. It endeavors to bring to life the energy, enthusiasm and passions of these individuals so that generations to come will have insight into the wide variety of accomplishments achieved by women in medicine at Johns Hopkins.
2015: Paula M. Pitha-Rowe, Ph.D.; Nancy E. Davidson, M.D.
2013: Linda P. Fried, M.D., M.P.H.; Barbara Starfield, M.D., M.P.H.
The JHU Alumni Association presents five prestigious annual awards to honor deserving graduates, professors and friends of Johns Hopkins. Visit the JHU Alumni Association website for more information.
- Woodrow Wilson Award for Distinguished Government Service - Honors alumni who have brought credit to the university by their current or recently concluded distinguished public service as elected or appointed officials.
- Heritage Award - Honors alumni and friends of Johns Hopkins who have contributed outstanding service over an extended period to the progress of the university or the activities of the Alumni Association.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award - Honors alumni who have typified the Johns Hopkins tradition of excellence and brought credit to the university by their personal accomplishment, professional achievement or humanitarian service.
- Global Achievement Award - Honors alumni who exemplify the Johns Hopkins tradition of excellence and have brought credit to the university and their profession in the international arena through their professional achievements or humanitarian service.
- Outstanding Recent Graduate Award - Honors recent graduates of Johns Hopkins (within 10 years of graduation) for outstanding achievement or service in their professional or volunteer life. Support of Johns Hopkins may be a consideration but not a requirement.