Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Our basic educational model provides instruction for two students with one GTA. The session for male instruction is one hour. The session for female instruction is one and one-half hours in duration.
Individuals are carefully recruited and trained. Men and women will be selected with emphasis on the following criteria:
- comfortableness with his/her body
- comfortableness in discussing and demonstrating his/her own anatomy with others
- ability to communicate articulately, convey information clearly, and remainprofessional.
- sensitivity to instructing medical students on how to perform a physical examination and interact with a patient
- interest in education and contributing to the development of healthcare professionals
- sophistication in interpersonal skills
The educational benefits for the students include:
- humanizing the patient
- understanding the genital, urinary and rectal anatomy (and breast in the female exam) necessary for effective and sensitive clinical skills
- learning provided in a supportive environment
- providing immediate feedback, reassurance and opportunity for experiential learning
- providing individualized attention and feedback
- engaging the entire student group throughout instruction
- introducing students to patient education during the instruction
To supervise the instructional content and revisions necessary to maintain a high standard in the GTA program, Johns Hopkins has enlisted consultants Dr. Nancy Hueppchen, Assistant Professor, Gynecology and Obstetrics and Dr. H. Ballentine Carter, Professor of Urology.
If you are interested in this work or have questions, please contact:
Rose Zaeske, Program Manager.