I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
At the Johns Hopkins Medicine Simulation Center, the educational process is rigorous.
Students are briefed in classrooms before running
through a simulation
The most important skills highlighted during simulations include:
- Hand-eye coordination
- Reaction to pressure during a procedure
- Reaction to criticism when a procedure is evaluated
Rigorous and measurable objectives
Before a course is taught, instructors decide on the educational objectives and set measurement standards to determine if course objectives were met. The main goals are to create better doctors and health professionals, but doing research on how people interact with technology and how to create better patient safety standards is also a major objective.
- Typically students are lectured on the simulation for about 30 minutes before it takes place.
- The room used for the simulation looks exactly like a room they would encounter at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Even the equipment is identical, ordered to the specifications for the needs of the type of simulation being run. This is so realism is heightened, but also so that when the real situation is encountered, everything feels familiar.
- The mannequin selected for the simulation is based on the kind of simulation being run, as well as the educational and course objectives. Meet our Simulators. As the students move through the simulation, they are watched by staff behind a one-way mirror. Confederates are staff members who act as nurses, parents or respiratory therapists to give the simulation as much realism as possible.
- The mannequin is programmed to run through the simulation, but the staff can change the simulation mid-way or modify the program.
- After the simulation, th video is called up on an LCD so everyone can watch and comment together during the debriefing.
- The goal is to achieve success in the educational objective of the simulation. Usually the teams will practice the simulation two or three times until they have achieved some mastery over the subject matter.