Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Lauren Mayer CNM, Mary Hogan MD, William Mayer MD,
Margot Watson MD, Phyllis Campbell MD
For optimal health, all women should see their gynecologist or healthcare practitioner at least once a year. At our practice, our physicians, nurse practitioner and Certified Nurse Midwives offer routine gynecologic care.
We call these well woman health visits. They include a pelvic exam, breast examination and a discussion about your overall general health. We may order blood work at this visit.
Also included in the visit:
- Health maintenance education – your practitioner will discuss various aspects of your health with you.
- Cancer screening – this may include a Pap smear, which includes a swab of the cells on your cervix to look for pre-cancerous cells.
- Mammogram – your practitioner will determine the best time to start regular screening mammograms.
- Screening for STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) – you and your doctor will discuss the screenings you might want to have.
- Preconception counseling – if you and your partner are thinking about becoming pregnant, your doctor will discuss various aspects of your health in preparation.
- Sexuality – you and your doctor will discuss your sexual health.
- PMS – some women have a very difficult time managing their pre-menstrual syndrome. Your practitioner can offer practical solutions, including lifestyle changes, and perhaps medication to control your PMS.
- HPV testing – depending on your age and level of sexual activity, your practitioner may recommend testing for the virus that signals an increased risk of cervical cancer.
- Contraception – your practitioner will discuss contraceptive options with you.
Learn more about:
- Cancer Screenings
- Family Planning and Contraception
- Heart Disease and Osteoporosis Risk Assessment and Reduction
- HPV Vaccine
- Menopause Management