I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Routine Gynecologic Care
For optimal health, all women should see their gynecologist or healthcare practitioner at least once a year. At our practice, our physicians, nurse practitioner and Certified Nurse Midwives offer routine gynecologic care.
We call these well woman health visits. They include a pelvic exam, breast examination and a discussion about your overall general health. We may order blood work at this visit.
Also included in the visit:
- Health maintenance education – your practitioner will discuss various aspects of your health with you.
- Cancer screening – this may include a Pap smear, which includes a swab of the cells on your cervix to look for pre-cancerous cells.
- Mammogram – your practitioner will determine the best time to start regular screening mammograms.
- Screening for STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) – you and your doctor will discuss the screenings you might want to have.
- Preconception counseling – if you and your partner are thinking about becoming pregnant, your doctor will discuss various aspects of your health in preparation.
- Sexuality – you and your doctor will discuss your sexual health.
- PMS – some women have a very difficult time managing their pre-menstrual syndrome. Your practitioner can offer practical solutions, including lifestyle changes, and perhaps medication to control your PMS.
- HPV testing – depending on your age and level of sexual activity, your practitioner may recommend testing for the virus that signals an increased risk of cervical cancer.
- Contraception – your practitioner will discuss contraceptive options with you.
Learn more about:
- Cancer Screenings
- Family Planning and Contraception
- Heart Disease and Osteoporosis Risk Assessment and Reduction
- HPV Vaccine
- Menopause Management