Certified Nurse Midwives:
Stephanie Rhodes, Margaret Truyens , Jeanne Prins,
Janine Sayles, Jackie Notes, Mary Beth Koho,
and Kay Mitchell.
Many women are opting for a Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) as their primary care provider during their childbearing years. In addition to the many services they provide, nurse-midwives have maintained an outstanding record of safety and have made a significant contribution to healthier births.
The goal of our Certified Nurse Midwives is to give our patients more choices and personalized care that fits into their philosophy toward their reproductive health.
What you can expect from our Certified Nurse Midwives
What you can expect from our CNMs:
- Routine gynecologic care – including well women visits, diagnosis of urinary tract infections and other vaginal infections.
- Family planning and contraception guidance – our Certified Nurse Midwives can prescribe the full scope of contraceptive options and also insert IUDs.
- Obstetrical care – including management of the pregnancy the entire time. If there are complications, one of our Certified Nurse Midwives will team with a physician to provide the most comprehensive care possible.
Midwife Janine Sayles with
patient using the yoga ball to
manage childbirth pain.
- Labor management – including alternatives to pain medication during labor. Some of our patients do elect to have traditional pain management therapies, including epidurals. We encourage our patients to find the best pain management strategies for them during childbirth.
- Menopause management – provide care during this time of change in a woman’s life.
Our Certified Nurse Midwives do not participate in:
- Home births
- Water births
Hospital births with our Certified Nurse Midwives
Our midwives provide many
services to enhance the
process of birth, including using
a birthing bar during labor and
Our Certified Nurse Midwives support the safety and sanctity of birth in a hospital setting. For those individuals and families who choose to give birth in a hospital environment, our nurse-midwifery practice is an added source of support in creating a positive birth experience. During labor and birth, our Certified Nurse Midwives provide many services, which enhance the process of birth.
Under our program, you can expect our Certified Nurse Midwives to:
- Be with you during the most active phase of your labor
- Perform the delivery of your baby
- Offer support and encouragement to both you and your partner
- Evaluate your labor process and help you make any decisions, should intervention be necessary
- Help your partner or family member take an active role to whatever degree is desired
- Maintain ongoing communication and consultation with the back-up physician as necessary
Our certified nurse midwives
will provide support for you at
every stage of your pregnancy
and birth of your baby.
Your physical and emotional well-being continues to be of the utmost importance to our Certified Nurse Midwives. During the post-natal period, you will have a six-week office visit with a CNM.
As you prepare for the rewarding work of motherhood and parenting, our Certified Nurse Midwives can also provide you with information on breastfeeding, infant care and self-care.