Sibley Memorial Hospital is a major provider of surgical services, most notably in the areas of obstetrics, gynecology, orthopaedics, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, cosmetic, thoracic, urology, vascular, oral / maxillofacial and general surgery. Surgical facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including lasers, operating microscopes and support for minimally invasive surgical techniques.
General Surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses primarily on diseases of the abdomen, but also includes surgery of the breast and endocrine glands. General surgeons are also specially trained to repair abdominal wall hernias and to treat diseases involving the skin and soft tissues.
Our surgeons have been among the leaders in the Washington metropolitan area in the development of new operative techniques. Many of the advanced procedures in laparoscopic surgery as well as specialized techniques in breast and endocrine surgery were first performed in this area by surgeons at Sibley.
Sibley has special expertise in:
- Laparoscopic abdominal surgery (diseases of the gallbladder and biliary system, spleen, adrenal glands and pancreas)
- Laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgery and colorectal surgery
- Laparoscopic and open hernia surgery, including hiatal hernias
- Surgical oncology
- Breast surgery
- Thyroid surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Orthopaedic oncology surgery
- Minimally invasive radio-guided parathyroid surgery
- Melanoma and skin cancer surgery
- Vascular surgery
- Ear, nose and throat surgery
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
Sibley’s surgeons are committed to minimizing the risks of postoperative complications and have adopted all the protocols of the American College of Surgeons to reduce the risk of hospital-acquired infections. Our length of hospitalization and rate of surgical site infections in colorectal surgery are well below national benchmarks.