Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Those who engage in crime are always searching for a soft or easy target. The easiest method to foil their attempts is to practice good, common sense crime prevention habits.
Always be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious persons or activity on campus to security as soon as possible.
- Try to travel in pairs; this reduces your chances of becoming the victim of a street crime.
- Carry a personal alarm.
- Plan the safest route to your destination and use it. Also make someone else aware of the route you’ll be taking.
- Stay on well-lit, well-traveled streets.
- Walk halfway between curbs and buildings.
- Stay away from alleys, entries, and bushes.
- Avoid shortcuts through wooded areas, parking lots, or alleys.
- Don’t flash large amounts of cash or other tempting targets like expensive jewelry or clothing.
- Avoid using your cell phone or mp3 player while walking. Suspects target phones and other items in plain view. Do carry a cell phone in case of emergencies, but keep it concealed and in a place where you can get to it quickly.
- If you are followed, be suspicious.
- Keep looking behind you and you may discourage the follower.
- If someone is following you on foot, cross the street, change direction or vary your pace.
- If someone follows you in a car, turn around and walk in the opposite direction.
- Carry a purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps.
- Put your wallet in your inside coat or front pants pocket, not a back pocket.
- Try to use automated teller machines in the daytime. Have your card in hand and don’t approach the machine if you’re uneasy about people nearby.
- Don’t wear shoes or clothing that restrict your movements.
- Have your car or house key in hand before you reach the door.
- Never hitchhike, or “hack”. Use campus shuttle services and public transportation – it's worth the wait.