Nearly 50 million people have surgery each year in the U.S., approximately one million develop serious complications, and over 150,000 patients die within 30 days. Through its ACTION II partnership, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is funding a national Surgical Unit-based Safety Program (SUSP) to reduce surgical site infections (SSI) and other surgical complications.
The National Project team includes world-renowned experts from the Armstrong Institute, the American College of Surgeons, the University of Pennsylvania and the World Health Organization Patient Safety Programme. In addition, the National Project Team includes faculty who helped develop and implement the Department of Defense and AHRQ-funded TeamSTEPPS program.
We are now recruiting hospitals to participate in this project!
Below are several resources you can use to learn more about SUSP and how to get involved:
On-Boarding Calls that introduce the project and key concepts to participants in SUSP
- Project Overview, Dr. Sean Berenholtz slides
- Building Your SUSP Team, Part 1, July 19, 2012, Dr. Mike Rosen slides SUSP Team Membership Form
- SUSP - The Science of Safety, Dr. Sean Berenholtz, Dr. Chris Goeschel slides Perioperative Staff Safety Assessment
- Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP) , Dr. Chris Goeschel, Deb Hobson, RN, Dr. Liza Wick, Dr. Lisa Lubomski
- Surgical Site Infections, August 8, 2012, Dr. Liza Wick, Deb Hobson
- Building Your SUSP Team, Part 2, Dr. Mike Rosen, Dr. Lisa Lubomski SUSP Team Formation Roles and Responsibilities
- Building and Measuring Safety Culture, Dr. Sallie Weaver, Dr. Lisa Lubomski Measuring Patient Safety Culture Manual, Part 1 HSOPS Survey Coordinator Description Safety Culture Survey Debriefing Plan: Quick Reference Guide
Content Calls that dig deeper into SUSP project tools and methods
- The SUSP Project Platform, Dr. Terry Shen and Dr. Julius Pham
- Cohort 1: September 13, 2012 webinar
- Measuring Safety Culture: Navigating the Online HSOPS App, Dr. Sallie Weaver
- Cohort 1: September 20, 2012 webinar
- Give The Vision, then Give Them Voice: The Science of Patient Safety and the Staff Safety Assessment, Dr. Lisa Lubomski slides Science of Safety Training Attendance Sheet Perioperative Safety Assessment
- Cohort 1: Octopber 2, 2012 webinar
Informational Calls for potential participants: