Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The competitive bidding threshold for the procurement of supplies, equipment, and services is $10,000. The complete policy on competitive bidding is provided below.
Departments purchasing goods or services with an estimated cost of less than $10,000 may:
- Submit a shopping cart to Supply Chain Shared Services for the order to be placed by SCSS. A suggested vendor may be identified on the shopping cart if one is known, or if a specific vendor is requested. Vendor price quotations, order forms, and any other related forms of agreement may be submitted with the purchase request. It is not necessary to submit any other documentation with the purchase request. Supply Chain Shared Services personnel will award the purchase order for the procurement of the specified goods or services to the vendor most able to meet the Hospital's requirements in an economical and timely manner.
Departments purchasing goods or services with an estimated cost greater than $10,000 must
- Submit a shopping cart to Supply Chain Shared Services for the order to be placed by SCSS. A suggested vendor may be identified on the purchase request if one is known. Supply Chain Shared Services will award a purchase order to a vendor for the procurement of the goods or services specified on the basis of a competitive bid. Such competitive bidding will be conducted in the most appropriate and efficient means practical as determined by Supply Chain Shared Services, (i.e., by telephone, facsimile, or mail).
If a specific vendor or brand name product is specified on the purchase request and the originating department requests to have the purchase order awarded on a basis other than a competitive one, sufficient documentation justifying why it is not possible or practical to award the order to any vendor other than the one specified must accompany the purchase request.
Acceptable reasons why it may not be possible or practical to award a purchase order for competitive reasons may include
- custom fabricated equipment only available from one source
- new equipment to be purchased from same manufacturer as existing equipment to maintain compatibility, or facilitate the exchange/replacement of spare, and/or consumable parts and supplies
- new chemicals or other perishable media to be purchased from same manufacturer to maintain the scientific integrity of any experiment
- time is of the essence - due to legitimate extenuating or emergency circumstances, replacement and/or additional equipment or supplies must be obtained as soon as possible
All vendor price quotations, order forms, and any other related forms of agreement or documentation must be submitted with the purchase request.