Director: Jennifer Payne, M.D.
Johns Hopkins University
550 N Broadway – Suite 308
Baltimore, MD 21205
Clinic Services offered on Thursdays afternoons only.
- We offer a one-time evaluation for adult patients suffering from depression or bipolar illness. Our services include initial evaluations and consultations. The evaluation consists of a clinical interview lasting one hour with a resident psychiatrist followed by treatment recommendations by the clinic director. This information will be included in a report sent to your treating physician.
- We also offer ongoing care for patients who wish to receive psychiatric treatment through this clinic. Although the residents change every 6 months, all patient care is supervised by the clinic director.
Requestion an Appointment
We recommend having records summarizing your current and past psychiatric treatment sent prior to your consultation. This can be a time-consuming and frustrating task. If you are feeling overwhelmed, ask a friend or family member to help you. The quality of the consultation will be greatly enhanced by having a complete set of your psychiatric records. Click here for a Records Request Letter and send it to your psychiatrist or hospital to clarify the type of records needed.
- Have your treating psychiatrist and/or psychotherapist send a typed summary (no handwritten progress notes, please) of your treatment, including details of medications used and responses to medications. Please do not have your doctor send notes from individual sessions. Also, we would be interested in a summary from any psychiatrist or psychotherapist who has treated you. Doctors and psychotherapists will need at least your verbal permission and, in most cases, written permission from you and your parents or legal guardian in order to release a summary to us. Click here for a Release Form.
- If you have ever been a patient in a psychiatric hospital, have copies of the physician admission and discharge summary faxed to us. Please ask the hospital's Medical Records Department not send daily progress notes. Hospitals need your written consent to release records. Contact the records department of the hospital to find out whether you need to sign one of their release forms or if a written note from you will suffice.
- Hopkins mail can be slow. Please have your records faxed, if at all possible to 410-502-7449 ATTN: Jessica Toomer. Download FAX cover sheet.
- INFORMATION FOR FAMILY MEMBERS: We strongly encourage patients to bring a spouse, friend, or parent to offer their perspectives on the patient's current and previous conditions.Family members provide important insight into the patient's history that the patient might not be able to recount on his/her own. It is common for ill patients to have difficulty with memory during bouts of the illness and the family members can help fill in the blanks. Through involvement in the clinic, family members will better understand the patient's illness and can become an integral part of the treatment plans.
- SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT: Please call 410-502-7449 to speak with our clinic coordinator Jessica Toomer.
- INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS: Please contact the Johns Hopkins Medicine International Office: Phone: 410-955-8032
- ASSISTANCE WITH TRAVEL ACCOMODATIONS: Please contact the Hopkins Travel Office: Toll-free: 1-800-225-2201
Fees and Payment
The fee for the one-time consultation visit is $750.00, payable at the time of consultation. We accept cash in the exact amount, personal checks and credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, American Express). The fee for follow-up medication management visits is $175. Fees are subject to change .
You are responsible for contacting your insurance company in order to obtain any necessary authorization for this appointment. Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences contracts with different insurance companies, therefore you should personally verify your mental health benefits, in particular, a one-time outpatient psychiatry visits. For persons with types of insurance different from those with which we are contracted, we require payment in full at the time of visit.
The Department of Psychiatry will not submit claims to carriers with whom they do not participate. This would include HMO’s, POS, and Blueshield plans that are considered to be out of network. Payment in full is expected at time of service. Patients are responsible for the entire bill, as insurance companies will only pay the portion they allow or authorize under their plans. The professional fee billing office will send an itemized statement which patients may submit to their insurance carriers for reimbursement.
Important Insurance Information
We require at least two working days notice for rescheduling. For example, if your appointment is on Friday, we require that you notify us on Tuesday to allow Wednesday and Thursday for that appointment to be filled. If adequate notice is not given, a fee of $150 will be charged. If you do not give any notice of cancellation, a fee of $150 for the missed visit will be billed directly to you. Click here for more information about other clinical services offered for patient with mood disorders.
The following forms will need to be completed for your visit: