I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Krishna Upadhya, M.D., M.P.H.
Krishna Kumari Upadhya, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Adolescent Medicine, General Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Research Interests: Adolescent reproductive health; Prevention of unintended pregnancy in adolescents
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Pediatrics
Appointment Phone: 443-997-5437
200 N. Wolfe Street
Rubenstein Child Health Building
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Krishna Upadhya is an assistant professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She also holds a joint appointment in the Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She holds active board certifications in adolescent medicine and general pediatrics.
Dr. Upadhya received her M.D., with honors, from the University of Illinois at Chicago and a master’s of public health degree from Boston University. Following medical school, she completed her residency and fellowship training in pediatrics and adolescent medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She served on the faculty in adolescent medicine at Georgetown University Medical Center for two years prior to returning to Johns Hopkins in 2012.
She provides comprehensive primary care and subspecialty consultations to adolescents and has particular clinical interests in the areas of general reproductive health, menstrual disorders and teen pregnancy.
In addition to providing clinical care, Dr. Upadhya is actively involved in teaching and research. Her research focuses on adolescent reproductive health and prevention of unintended pregnancy. Dr. Upadhya has presented her work at international meetings and has published articles on adolescent health and research in both the lay press and medical literature. She is an active member of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine and serves on the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence.
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Illinois at Chicago (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Adolescent Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Adolescent Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics-General (2006)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Upadhya KK, Ellen JM. "Social disadvantage as a risk for first pregnancy among adolescent females in the United States." J Adolesc Health. 2011 Nov;49(5):538-41. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.04.011. Epub 2011 Jun 8.
Upadhya K, Rowe P. "Research and statistics: case-control studies." Pediatr Rev. 2010 Feb;31(2):70-1. No abstract available.
Upadhya KK, Trent ME, Ellen JM. "Impact of individual values on adherence to emergency contraception practice guidelines among pediatric residents: implications for training." Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009 Oct;163(10):944-8.
Upadhya K, Trent M. "Effects of polycystic ovary syndrome on health-related quality of life." Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2007 Dec;7(6):597
Activities & Honors
- Young Investigator Travel Award, travel grant to present research at PAS meeting, Pediatric Academic Societies, 2009
- New Investigator Award Finalist, award program for promising new investigators, Society for Adolescent Medicine, 2009
- Graduation with Honors, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, 2003
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Inductee, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, 2002
- American Academy of Pediatrics, DC Chapter Member, 2012
- Chesapeake Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, 2006
- Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, 2006
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Member, 2003
- Society for Family Planning
- Interviewer, Medical Student Life Advisory Committee, Faculty Member, Medical School Admissions Committee, 2011
- Journal peer review, First Consult, 2012
- Journal peer review, Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 2011 - 2012
- Journal peer review, Journal of Women, Politics & Policy, 2012 - 2012
- Journal peer review, BMC Public Health, 2012 - 2012
- Journal peer review, Journal of Adolescent Health, 2010 - 2010
- Journal peer review, American Journal of Men’s Health, 2010 - 2010
- Journal peer review, BMC Medical Education, 2010 - 2010
- Journal peer review, African Health Sciences, 2009 - 2009
- grant reviewer, grantee liaison, Advisory Committees, Review Groups/Study Sections Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine Grant Program “Addressing Barriers to Adolescent Vaccination”, 2011
- Advocacy Committee Member, Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, 2011
- Executive Committee At Large Member, Chesapeake Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, 2011