Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Julie Jisun Paik, M.D., M.H.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Languages: English, Korean
Expertise: Myositis, Rheumatology, Scleroderma
Research Interests: Myositis, scleroderma, scleroderma associated myopathy
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-1552
301 Mason Lord Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Paik is an Instructor in Medicine in the Division of Rheumatology.
After completing Internal Medicine residency and chief residency at ULCA-Cedars-Sinai/WLAVA Hospital, she completed her rheumatology fellowship at Johns Hopkins. Her research interests are in myositis and scleroderma, specifically focusing on the neuromuscular manifestations of scleroderma.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine (2006)
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center / Internal Medicine (2010)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Rheumatology (2013)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2009)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Rheumatology (2013, 2017)
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
Research & Publications
Muscle disease in scleroderma is common and is associated with poor outcomes such as disability and sudden cardiac death. We have developed a sub-cohort of weak scleroderma patients and are beginning to study the mechanisms driving muscle disease and also interventions to halt or improve strength in this special group of patients.
Paik JJ, Wigley FM, Lloyd TE, Corse AM, Casciola-Rosen L, Shah AA, Boin F, Hummers LK, Mammen AL. The spectrum of muscle histopathologic findings in 42 weak scleroderma patients. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015 May 18. Doi:10.1002/acr.22620
Paik JJ, Mammen AL, Wigley FM, Gelber AC. Myopathy in scleroderma, its identification, prevalence, and treatment: lessons learned from cohort studies. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2014 Mar;26(2):124-30
Paik JJ, Corse AM, Mammen AL. The co-existence of myasthenia gravis in patients with myositis: a case series. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2014 Jun;43(6):792-6
Chung T, Christopher-Stine L, Paik JJ, Corse A, Mammen AL. The composition of cellular infiltrates in anti-HMG-CoA reductase-associated myopathy. Muscle Nerve. 2015 Aug;52(2); 189-95
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
GTPCI (Graduate Training Program of Clinical Investigation)
Activities & Honors
- Clinical to Research Transition Award, Arthritis Foundation, 2013
- American College of Rheumatology
- International Myositis Assessment and Clinical Research
- Member, Diversity Council
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
The Prevalence of Neuropathy in Scleroderma