Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Mahidhar M Durbhakula, M.D.
Specializes in: Adolescents (12-18 years), Adults (18+ years), Children (1-11 years), Infants (up to 1 year)
Expertise: Arthritis, Arthroscopic Surgery, Bursitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Joint Aspiration, Joint Replacement, Microsurgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopedic Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery, Rotator Cuff, Sports Medicine, Upper Extremity Surgery ...read more
Appointment Phone: 301-530-1010
10215 Fernwood Road
The Camalier Building, Suite 506
Bethesda, MD 20817 map
A graduate of Northwestern University and Northwestern University Medical School, Dr. Mahidhar Durbhakula completed orthopaedic surgery residency training at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.Dr. Mahidhar Durbhakula has received a Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Mahidhar Durbhakula's areas of expertise include arthroscopic, minimally invasive, reconstructive, and microsurgical treatment of both acute and chronic conditions of the hand, wrist and elbow.
Dr.Durbhakula offers his patients clear and forthright discussions of expectations on what they should expect from surgery to the followup. His goal is to provide the highest level of care to his patients.
This begins with listening to patients and working together with them to develop the best treatment plans for their particular conditions. Most conditions can be successfully treated with nonoperative techniques. For those problems requiring surgery, Dr. Mahidhar is trained in the latest techniques to alleviate pain and restore function. Visit OrthoBethesda.com to learn more about Dr. Mahidhar Durbhakula.
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital
- MD, Northwestern University Medical School (2001)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland / Orthopaedic Surgery (2007)
- Hospital for Special Surgery / Hand Surgery (2008)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Hand Surgery (2011)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (2010)
Research & Publications
- Murray WM, Arnold AS, Salinas S, Durbhakula MM, Buchanan TS, Delp SL. Building Biomechanical Models Based on Medical Image Data: An Assessment of Model Accuracy. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention. Volume 1496. P539-549, 1998.
- Yoo JU, Huang JI, Durbhakula MM, Angele P, Johnstone B. Tissue engineering of a whole bone. Case Orthopaedic Journal. Volume 1(1): P14-16, 2004.
- Huang RC, Durbhakula MM. Spinal Epidural Abscess. Contemporary Spine Surgery. Volume 6(5): P31-36, 2005.
- Durbhakula MM, Ghiselli GG. Cervical Total Disc Replacement, Part I: Rationale, Biomechanics, and Implant Types. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. Volume 36(3): P349-354, 2005.
- Huang JI, Kazmi N, Durbhakula MM, Hering TM, Yoo JU, Johnstone B. Chondrogenic potential of progenitor cells derived from human bone marrow and adipose tissue: A patient-matched comparison. Journal of Orthopedic ResearchVolume 23(6): P1383-1389, 2005.
- Durbhakula MM, Casinelli E. Thoracic Disc Herniation. Contemporary Spine Surgery Volume 6(11): P77-81, 2005.
- Huang JI, Durbhakula MM, Angele P, Johnstone B, Yoo JU. Lunate Arthroplasty with autologous mesenchymal stem cells in a rabbit model. Case Orthopaedic Journal. Volume 3(1): P66-73, 2006.
- Huang JI, Durbhakula MM, Johnstone B, Yoo J. Carpal Reconstruction Using Autologous Stem Cells. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Volume 88(4): P744-752, 2006.
Activities & Honors
- Washington-Baltimore Top Doctors , 2012
- Super Doctors Rising Stars , 2013
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor , 2013
- Washingtonian Top Doctors , 2014
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- Washington Hand Society
- Washington Orthopaedic Society