Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Monica Mukherjee, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Echocardiographic Research, Johns Hopkins University
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Specializes in: Geriatrics (55+ years), Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Cardiovascular Diseases, Echocardiography, Heart Disease Prevention and Treatment in Women, Hypertension, Medicine, Non-invasive Cardiology, Non-invasive Imaging, Pulmonary Hypertension ...read more
Research Interests: Pulmonary Hypertension; Right heart dysfunction; Myocardial Fibrosis; Hypertensive Heart Disease; Diastolic Heart Failure; Hypertension and Strain; Speckle Tracking Echocardiography ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-1120
4940 Eastern Avenue
301 Mason F. Lord Drive Suite 2400
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Monica Mukherjee is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University Division of Cardiology and specializes in advanced cardiac imaging, serving as the Director of Echocardiographic Research across campuses, as well as Medical Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
Dr. Mukherjee graduated Summa Cum Laude with dual Bachelors of Science in Psychology and Behavioral Neurosciences from the University of Florida. She completed her medical school training at the George Washington University in Washington, DC, and internal medicine residency at Drexel University, before returning to George Washington to complete her fellowship in cardiovascular disease. She has a Masters in Public Health from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School with a special concentration in Epidemiological and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research. Dr. Mukherjee's research focuses on the use of speckle tracking echocardiography in the detection of subclinical myocardial dysfunction. She is currently funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Scleroderma Foundation, and the Staurulakis Discovery Fund. Her research has been presented at the American Thoracic Society, American Heart Association, American College of Rheumatology, American College of Cardiology and was awarded the Top 25 Young Investigators Award from the American Society of Echocardiography in 2016.
- Director, Echocardiographic Research, Johns Hopkins University
- Medical Director, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine (2006)
- Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann Univ Hospital / Internal Medicine (2009)
- George Washington University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011)
- Echocardiography, The National Board of Echocardiography (2014)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Mukherjee M, Chung SE, Ton VK, Hummers LK, Wigley FM, Abraham TP, Shah AA. Unique Abnormalities in Right Ventricular Longitudinal Strain in Systemic Sclerosis Patients. Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging. 2016 Jun;9(6)
Mukherjee M, Sharma K, Madrazo JA, Tedford RJ, Russell SD, Hays AG. Right Sided Heart Dysfunction In Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction And Worsening Renal Function. American Heart Journal, 2017 July
Mukherjee M, Mehta NK, Connolly J, Dusaj RS, Choi BG, Katz RJ, Lewis JF. Pulmonary Hypertension in Hypertensive Patients: Association with Diastolic Dysfunction and Increased Pulmonary Vascular Resistance. Echocardiography 2014 Apr;31(4):442-8
Mukherjee M, Abraham TP. 2014. "Assessment of Diastolic Function" in Lang RM, Goldstein SA, Kronzon I, Mor-Avi V, Khandheria BK Dynamic Echocardiography 2nd Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier
Choi BG, Mukherjee M, Dala P, Young HA, Tracy CM, Katz RJ, Lewis JL. Interpretation of Remotely Downloaded Pocket-Size Cardiac Ultrasound Images on a Web-Enabled Smartphone: Validation against Workstation Evaluation. Journal American Society of Echocardiography 2011;24(12):1325-30
Activities & Honors
- Summa Cum Laude, Bachelors of Science in Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychology, 2001
- William H. Beaumont Honors in Research, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2006
- Harold Lamport Biomedical Research Award, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2006
- Donald H. Glew Memorial Award, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2006
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Fellow, American Society of Echocardiography (FASE)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American Heart Association
- National Board of Echocardiography