I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Melinda Gail Abernethy, M.D., M.P.H.
Associate Director, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Cystocele, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Interstitial Cystitis, Lower Urinary Tract Reconstruction, Pelvic Floor Disorders, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Pelvic Reconstruction, Stress Incontinence, Urogynecology , Uterine Prolapse, Voiding Dysfunction ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0400
10755 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0400
301 Mason Lord Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Melinda Abernethy is an assistant professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Her areas of clinical expertise include pelvic organ prolapse and reconstructive pelvic surgery.
Dr. Abernethy received her undergraduate degree in anthropology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She went on to earn her M.D. and her master of public health from the University of North Carolina. She completed her residency at the University of Michigan and performed two fellowships in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery: one at Loyola University Medical Center and one at Northwestern University. Dr. Abernethy joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2014.
Dr. Abernethy is a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and a member of the American Urogynecologic Society.
- Associate Director, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University of North Carolina School of Medicine (2007)
- University of Michigan Health System / Obstetrics and Gynecology (2011)
- Loyola University School of Medicine / Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery (2013)
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine / Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery (2014)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (2013)
Research & Publications
Dr. Abernethy's research interests include:
- Prospective evaluation of the natural history of peri-operative overactive bladder symptoms following midurethral sling using validated questionnaires.
- Evaluation of the urinary micobiome and cytokine profiles among women who develop de-novo peri-operative overactive bladder symptoms following midurethral sling compared to women without postoperative symptoms.
- Evaluation of urinary microbiome and cytokine profiles among women with interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome compared to healthy controls.
- Qualitative evaluation of availability of information and access to care for individuals desiring gender reassignment surgery.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Abernethy MG, Larson KA, Berger MB, DeLancey JO, Fenner DE, Morgan DM. "Morbidity Associated with Thromboprophylactic Heparin Administration in the Setting of Vaginal Surgery." Submitted for publication to Int J Gynecol Obstet.
Grodensky C, Golin C, Jones C, Mamo M, Abernethy MG, Patterson KB. "Older Women Living with HIV in the South: Perspectives on HIV Care and Antiretroviral Adherence." Accepted for publication with revisions in AIDS Care.
Larson KA, Smith T, Berger MB, Abernethy M, Mead S, Fenner DE, DeLancey JO, Morgan DM. "Long-term Patient Satisfaction with Michigan Four-Wall Sacrospinous Ligament Suspension for Prolapse." Accepted for publication in Obstet Gynecol.
Abernethy M, Vasquez E, Kenton K, Brubaker L, Mueller E. "Where do we place the Sacrocolpopexy stitch? –A MRI investigation." FPMRS 2012; 19(1): 31-33.
Activities & Honors
- Research Grant, American Urogynecologic Society and Interstitial Cystitis Association , 2013
- Holderness Medical Research Fellow, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2003
- Resident Scholar Award, 30th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Urogynecologic Society, 2009
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2013
- American Urogynecologic Society, 2009
- Norman F. Miller Gynecologic Society, University of Michigan, 2008
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- Webinar: Take the Floor and Break Free from Pelvic Floor Disorders. Physicians and specialists from the Johns Hopkins Women's Center for Pelvic Health, including Dr. Melinda Abernethy, discuss the causes, symptoms and treatment of pelvic floor disorders. Hosted November 12, 2015.