Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Stephanie L. Reel, M.B.A.
Chief Information Officer, Johns Hopkins University and Health System
Assistant Professor of Health Sciences Informatics
Stephanie L. Reel is an assistant professor of health sciences informatics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She serves as the chief information officer for all divisions of the Johns Hopkins University and Health System, vice president for information services for Johns Hopkins Medicine, and vice provost for information technology for the Johns Hopkins University.
As CIO, she leads the implementation of the strategic plan and operational redesign for information services, networking, telecommunications, as well as clinical, research and instructional technologies. She is currently working with other leaders toward a regional electronic patient record.
Ms. Reel received her B.S. in information systems management from the University of Maryland. She earned her M.B.A. in business administration from Loyola University.
With Ms. Reel’s guidance, the Johns Hopkins Health System is enhancing and advancing the use of electronic health records. Under her direction, The Johns Hopkins University has developed web-based development initiatives across the university, such as: a university-wide internet student information system (ISIS) to provide easy access for students about admissions status, financial aid, registration, grades, and student accounts; procurement support systems; and an Enterprise Resource Planning System, a combined JHHS/JHU financial systems solution.
She has served on the client advisory boards of IBM, GE Medical Systems, Eclipsys, Verizon, Compuware, and the Information Systems Advisory Council for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
In 2009 she was appointed to the Health I.T. Policy Committee working group of President Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. She is an advisory board member of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County’s College of Engineering and Information Technology, and a member of the Healthcare Information and Management and Systems Society (HIMSS). She is a member of the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME), and in 2000 was named its CIO of the Year. She also co-chairs the IT Roundtable of the Clinical Research Forum.
- Chief Information Officer, Johns Hopkins University and Health System
- Vice President for Information Services, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Vice Provost for Information Technology, Johns Hopkins University
- Assistant Professor of Health Sciences Informatics
Departments / Divisions
Activities & Honors
- Premier 100 IT Leaders, Computerworld, 2013
- Elected to CIO Magazine’s CIO Hall of Fame, 2012
- Maryland’s Top 100 Women, The Daily Record, 2008
- Alumna of the Year, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2008
- 20/20 Vision Leader Award, CIO Magazine, 2002
- Member, Healthcare Information and Management and Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Member, American Medical Informatics Association
- Member, EDUCAUSE
- Member, College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
- Health I.T. Policy Committee working group, President Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, 2009
- Advisory board member, University of Maryland, Baltimore County’s College of Engineering and Information Technology
- Panel chair and moderator, World Health Care Congress
- Co-chair, IT Roundtable, Clinical Research Forum
- Board member, Chesapeake Regional Information System for our Patients (CRISP)
- Inaugural member of the board of directors, National Alliance for Health Information Technology